Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tour pak mounting problems need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 10:52 AM
hillbily
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tour pak mounting problems need help

Ok I bought a used tour pak. Its is off a 06 (I know) classic or ultra (I think). It used the fixed mount on whatever bike it came off of. I am trying to mount it on a detachable two up bracket for my 07 street glide. The two up bracket holes are wider than the original mounting holes on the pak. The pak has to ridges about 1 inch wide that drop down on the bottom and run from front to back on the pak. The two up bracket sits right on this ridge and the ridge is not flat. My question is do they make a bracket to adapt this or do i need to make one myself or has anybody run into this on what have you done to fix it? Thanks for the help guys.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Take some pictures and post them here, or PM me and I'll give you my email address and you can send them to me.

First question: Will the detachable tour pak rack mount on your bike? I ask because your description suggests you may have a detachable rack designed for an '09 or '10 bike.

Second question: If the answer to question one is "yes," what brand detachable rack are you using? If it's an HD rack, the holes on it should match the holes in the bottom of the tour pak. (There may be some additional holes in the bottom that don't match, but those would be for mounting an HD amplifier on the bottom or, if it's an older tour pak, a CB transceiver.)

Third question: Is the bottom of the tour pak relatively flat and are the nuts which attach the metal plate in the bottom of the tour pak recessed? If it's not relatively flat with recesses for the nuts to secure the metal plate, the tour pak is a design older than that used on '06 and newer bikes. You can also tell if it's an older design if the side marker lights don't wrap around the rear edges of the tour pak but.

Glad to help, but pictures would be "priceless."

Old 01-08-2010, 03:58 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hillbily
Ok I bought a used tour pak. Its is off a 06 (I know) classic or ultra (I think). It used the fixed mount on whatever bike it came off of. I am trying to mount it on a detachable two up bracket for my 07 street glide. The two up bracket holes are wider than the original mounting holes on the pak. The pak has to ridges about 1 inch wide that drop down on the bottom and run from front to back on the pak. The two up bracket sits right on this ridge and the ridge is not flat. My question is do they make a bracket to adapt this or do i need to make one myself or has anybody run into this on what have you done to fix it? Thanks for the help guys.
Sounds like an aluminum adaptor plate will brobably fix you up, but yes post pics.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:59 AM
hillbily
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help guys. You were very helpful with the questions. One- the tour was not off of an 06 it was off a 96. It was not flat on bottom. So I built a bracket that would work and now it is on the bike and looks good. Thanks again for asking me the right questions. dont know why I did not double check on the tour pak first.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:27 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Theres a round U shaped tube that goes between the pak and the detachable mount that you are missing!