Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with Fairing Cap Installation !!! HELP????

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 10:34 AM
scottdoege
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problems with Fairing Cap Installation !!! HELP????

I have a 07 Ultra Classic.

I have just finished installing Wild One's 575 bagger bars with Harley poly bushings and a one-piece riser clamp.

I had space issues installing the bars with the ploy bushings and the new clamp. The clamp and the front bolt heads were hitting the bottom of the radio. The new bushings are taller than stock; hence the problem. I had to counter sink the front bolt holes in order for everything to fit.

Now... when reinstalling the lower fairing switch cap, I am having additional problems. It looks like the wider bars are causing problems with the cap alignment. The top of the cap will not install under the bottom of the radio without lots of pushing. I even took out the rubber "boots" on each side of the lower cap. It appears the the wider bars are in the way.

Anybody have similar problems? Any suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated.... I don't want to resort to grinding/shaving the area around the handlebars on the lower cap if I don't have to???

HELP?????

Old 01-27-2010, 11:25 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,973 Likes on 1,721 Posts

Did you buy the one piece HD top clamp that comes stock on 08 and later? That might help

Old 01-27-2010, 11:27 AM
scottdoege
Tourer

Yes, I bought the HD top clamp that comes stock on 08 and newer.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:35 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had similar problem on my SG when I installed my bars. The right side was a little off. I ended having to kind of push in and up while tightening the side screw. However mine were only slightly off.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:51 AM
scottdoege
Tourer

That's my exact problem. The right side is off more than the left side. In addition, it looks like something is out of "square" somewhere. The handlebar is closer to my fairing on the right side than the left. On the left side, my handlebar is almost touching the fairing and on the right, it's probably a little more than an eighth inch from touching.

Last edited by scottdoege; 01-27-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:16 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

By any chance do your bars neck down to a smaller diameter where they clamp? Could be that you may need to slide the bars over just slightly so the smaller section is in the clamps

Old 01-27-2010, 12:24 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

From what I remember, the neck down part pretty much is an exact fit? what you might do is loosen the mounting brackets for in inner fairing an see if that allows some movement - even a fraction may help...

Old 01-27-2010, 12:29 PM
scottdoege
Tourer

The bars are an exact fit. I like the idea of loosening the faring brackets. That might work. Never thought of that. Thanks!!!

Old 08-31-2020, 02:57 AM
Reece Sheldon
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A decade later here I am. is that how you fixed it, loosening the fairing brackets?

Old 09-01-2020, 04:04 AM
Reece Sheldon
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default exact same problem here on the exact same bike.

Originally Posted by scottdoege
I have a 07 Ultra Classic.

I have just finished installing Wild One's 575 bagger bars with Harley poly bushings and a one-piece riser clamp.

I had space issues installing the bars with the ploy bushings and the new clamp. The clamp and the front bolt heads were hitting the bottom of the radio. The new bushings are taller than stock; hence the problem. I had to counter sink the front bolt holes in order for everything to fit.

Now... when reinstalling the lower fairing switch cap, I am having additional problems. It looks like the wider bars are causing problems with the cap alignment. The top of the cap will not install under the bottom of the radio without lots of pushing. I even took out the rubber "boots" on each side of the lower cap. It appears the the wider bars are in the way.

Anybody have similar problems? Any suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated.... I don't want to resort to grinding/shaving the area around the handlebars on the lower cap if I don't have to???

HELP?????
Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Im having the same problem, with the same bike, with the same parts. Im about ready to move the switches.
TIA

Quick Reply: Problems with Fairing Cap Installation !!! HELP????