Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Securing a Street Glide for Transport???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 06:12 AM
richards6402
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Securing a Street Glide for Transport???

I am sure I will be purchasing a touring bike to go along with my softail. My questions is: How do I secure a Street Glide in an enclosed trailer to not damage the fairing? Is there enough room for a tie down on the handle bars and not damage anything? I never thought about this until I am about ready to buy this one.
Thanks for any replies.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:58 AM
Retrax
Tourer

I wouldn't use the handle bars. They are easily bent/broken and you can damage the mounting bushings on some bikes. On my '09 Street Glide I use soft ties on the mounting brackets for the saddle bags to secure the rear. Use soft ties on the front. I have gone through the frame in the front but recently started to use the soft ties around the fork legs where the front fender mounts. I was apprehensive using the fork leg at first but the dealer showed me that is where they secure the front end. My buddy does the same with his Ultra and has moved it all over the country for years and never suffered any damage. The fork leg method also allows the suspension to remain uncompressed as opposed to pulling it down by the frame.

Depending on where your floor rings are you can also use the rear foot peg mounts to tie off the rear. Make sure you spend the money on quality ratcheting tie downs! Don't use the cheap K-Mart ones. I like the 1 1/2" Powertye straps. They also make them in 2". Don't trust a twenty thousand dollar bike with a two dollar strap.

I would advise against using the crash bar to attach straps to. The straps like to slide around and can get loose. Stop after about ten miles and tighten anything that has come loose. Re-check at every stop. Make sure your trailer wheel bearings are properly serviced and check the tire pressure. Have a spare tire and the tools to change it. Good luck, get to where you are going safely.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:14 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master

Another good spot in the front is the frame where the crash bar attaches. I use soft ties around the frame just above the cross bar attachment point and then can balance the bike with the weight off the jiffy stand and no worries of the straps slipping around.

Talked to the dealer about how to tie it down and they pointed out this location is where they are tied down in the crate they come in so it must work ok.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:39 AM
richards6402
Advanced

Thanks RETRAX. I will try the fork method the next time. I bought the bike before everyone responed and used the handlebars and like you recommended...the frame in which the bags sit on. But I am going to try the fork method. Never heard of that before. Thanks again.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:41 AM
richards6402
Advanced

Thanks INSPECTOR12. Once again, you have provided me a method I have not heard of but will try.