Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with C&C seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 03:28 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Need help with C&C seat

I spoke with Chuck today at C&C seats about ordering a solo seat with detachable pillion. Chuck was VERY patient with me and tried to answer all my dumb questions but yet I still have more. Thought you guys might be able to help out.

My options are either getting vinyl or leather, and then either plain or Mercedes. I have no clue which to get. I think that the more questions I ask the more confused I get. I have no experience with a leather seat on motorcycles, but I will not buy a car with leather seats as every car or truck I have owned or seen with leather always ends up looking horrible. The leather always cracks and flakes, which is why my last truck I specifically wanted cloth seats. Is leather on a bike any different? Also what does it mean that vinyl is hotter... as in my butt is going to get soaked from sweating from a vinyl seat or is it not that big of a difference?

Also I have the choice of getting mercedes compared to plain in either vinyl or leather. Chuck sent me a pic of the mercedes which looks like the surface is kind of rough, as compared to the plain where the surface is smooth. But Chuck said the smooth develops a dimpled look over time - not sure what exactly that means, he was trying to explain it but my brain was not computing. Is mercedes better, or does it wear better?

Sorry for all the questions, but I don't want to drop all this money on a new seat and not like it.

Thanks!

Old 02-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Northwoodz
Road Warrior
Received 461 Likes on 128 Posts

It sounds like you already know the answer. I'm with ya on leather. I went with plain vinyl on all my touring seats from Chuck, and couldn't be happier!!!!!

Old 02-01-2010, 03:45 PM
gibby122
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im trying to decide on a new seat myself, I like the C&C solo w/back rest, but I want an all purpose seat, looks good for every day but handles 8 to 12 hours in the seat as well. I got that outta my Mustang. Also, it looks like all of their PPads are suction cup. Maybe I didnt look in the right places but I did that crap years ago and mama aint willing to go backwards to the ol suction cup days. I dont care how well they say on... not to mention what they do to the paint over time.

If i do go with them Im just going plain vinyl... I dont know what the dimple affect means either. or what it looks like. Maybe a pic of the 'dimples' might help decide.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:46 PM
gibby122
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guess I was wrong on the ppads, that sucker is nutted down! lol

Old 02-01-2010, 04:11 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Northwoodz
It sounds like you already know the answer. I'm with ya on leather. I went with plain vinyl on all my touring seats from Chuck, and couldn't be happier!!!!!

Do you find the seat to be hot? That seems to be one of the comments regarding vinyl vs. leather.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my second vinyl seat from Chuck. Both "ostrich" pattern. My current solo has the rider backrest. Great seat. Did a 900+ mile trip from SoCal to AZ a few months ago. No problems. (No gel insert either)

Dimple effect comes from sitting on a leather seat and sliding and shifting. Eventually it stretches the leather leaving little dimples or waves. No such problems with the vinyl.

Chuck only uses the high grade stuff. I would not hesitate to recommend the vinyl.

As for the p-pad, it has suction cups but also screws into the fender in the back where a normal two up seat would go. Secure but not very comfortable for the long haul.

The Mercedes leather has a slightly bumpy feel to the grain which hides the dimpling effect that a smooth leather one would show.

Primo
P.S. Go vinyl!

Old 02-01-2010, 05:10 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior

Thanks guys. Leaning towards the vinyl in plain.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:17 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't have the C&C, but after having 6-8 leather Corbin seats, I'm sold on the leather. But I've got to admit, that seat with the flames that Northwoods sent in looks killer nice. Wouldn't hesitate giving that a try.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Maxcustody
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the solo Vinyl in Mercedes, I lover it. Chuck was right on for me when he convinced me to go with Mercedes. Everyone that has seen my seat thinks it is leather anyway.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:30 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Maxcustody
I have the solo Vinyl in Mercedes, I lover it. Chuck was right on for me when he convinced me to go with Mercedes. Everyone that has seen my seat thinks it is leather anyway.
What do you like better about the Mercedes vinyl over the plain vinyl? The only pics I have seen make the Mercedes seem like the surface is rough, any truth to this?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Need help with C&C seat