Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Inner Primary Cover

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 07:34 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by highwayking
Is the H-D chrome inner primary cover part # 60869-10 (for '07 and later models) made by Kuryakyn? I have read on this forum where some have experienced rattles with the Kuryakyn cover. I want a primary cover but I don't want to get the H-D cover if it is a Kuryakyn product and has the same rattling issues. Anybody have this part on their bike and, if so, are you satisfied with it?
I'm pretty sure that this "new" HD inner primary cover is made by Kuryakyn. Kuryakyn makes a lot of chrome parts for HD.

I have the Kuryakyn one on my 09 Ultra. It doesn't rattle at all and I'm very happy with it. Add the base cylinder cover and the left side of your engine will look awesome.

Sure, the real Harley chrome inner primary looks better but it's significantly more $ and honestly, I don't spend my days with the nose on the engine nor have I seen anyone scrutinizing my bike to see if it's the real thing or just a cover.

My personal opinion on the subject.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 02-20-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:24 AM
crescentmotor
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by webbug
its 2 pieces unless this new part comes in one (which is not described well)

You made me worry now! I have ordered this item few days ago and from the hard copy catelog and when choosing your specific model on H-D parts website it only shows part 60869-10 which says (Fits '07-later Touring and Trike models.) which I hope fits 09 models.

But when you do a search on the part you have just put (#60885-10) it says it fits 09' and later models.

I'm really confused now
The picture on page 33 of the HD 2010 Spring Supplement shows a one piece cover. As additional confirmation, the main catalog refers to a two-piece cover and the spring supplement deleted the "two-piece" phrase.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts
Default I Agree

Originally Posted by Navy Mustang
+1 on that. This is my plan. But I think I'll wait and also upgrade the Comp and Alt at the same time. Probably not a bad idea...
That's what I did had a problem with primary bearing actually I had my primary taken apart may be 4 times for warranty work.I hate to pay for labor for decoration purposes.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:08 PM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally I dont like the covers because they look like, well, covers
Gotta agree with this statement. I put the chrome inner primary on my Road King and loved it. Went the other direction with my SG and went with a black outer.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:43 AM
09BlueRoadKing
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No issues with mine, it is made of metal, no rattleing.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:08 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by crescentmotor
The picture on page 33 of the HD 2010 Spring Supplement shows a one piece cover. As additional confirmation, the main catalog refers to a two-piece cover and the spring supplement deleted the "two-piece" phrase.
Kuryakyn sells a new 1-piece inner tranny cover, part # 7780, so I bet it's what HD sells now under his own part number.
I bought the 2-piece cover for my 09 Ultra a couple months ago and the back piece is pretty much hidden by the heat shield under the seat so I'll stay with mine, unless Kuryakyn gives me a pretty good deal on the new one. I doubt they will.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go...D/95/IMID/3892

Old 02-21-2010, 01:11 PM
crescentmotor
Cruiser

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Kuryakyn sells a new 1-piece inner tranny cover, part # 7780, so I bet it's what HD sells now under his own part number.
Yup--looks like the exact same thing.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:36 PM
rcdifalco
Intermediate

+1 for the HD cover. Yes is it made of metal not plastic, yes it is two pieces but I have no fitment issues or rattle. For the savings versus the inner primary cover you can add alot of extra bling or beverages of your choice.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:05 PM
highwayking
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

OK, from what I understand from reading the replies is that the H-D two-piece cover applies to all '07 and later models. The H-D one-piece will only work on the '09 and '10 models, and no problems with rattling with either the two-piece or the one-piece. But if I really want the best solution, I should just forget about the cover and go ahead and get the chrome inner primary. Decisions, decisions!

Old 02-21-2010, 06:37 PM
teqsand
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by crescentmotor
HD charges $139.95 for the inner primary trim and it is made of plastic?
And 80.00 for mid frame heat deflectors made of plastic...that's about 79.00 profit...

Quick Reply: Chrome Inner Primary Cover