Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson Extended Service Plan

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 08:13 PM
bowa18
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am an anti-extended warranty guy. But...I just bought my Road King in September of last year. So, I have only put a little over 1,000 miles on it, and my factory warranty expires March 1, 2010 (Monday).

That's only 6 months of warranty, a new bike comes with 2 years of warranty from date of purchase. If you bought your bike new in Sept. 2009 you're good to go until Sept. of 2011.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:23 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rstekeur
There programmed at the factory to breakdown the day after the warranty expires, at least it seems to wotk that way
Never heard anyone have a serious problem shortly after the 2 yrs is up. I'm sure it happens but my experience - do the maintenance and the bikes are super reliable.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:56 AM
Lemms
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bowa18, I bought my '08 RKC used in September. It has factory warranty on it until March 1, 2010. So, that I why I am debating on extending it this weekend or not.
Thanks a bunch for all of the input guys... I am gonna call around to a few other local dealers to see what their prices are for an extra 3 years (5 total).

Ya'll have a good weekend...

Old 03-06-2010, 09:10 PM
daharleyrdr
Tourer
Question Extended Warranty or ESP

Lemms
So I'm curious did you buy the extended warranty ESP? If so how much did it cost? THanks Bill

Old 03-07-2010, 07:45 AM
Lemms
Advanced

No, I did not... Talked to a few local dealers. prices were the same at each, and just decided to bank the money instead. If problems arise, I'll use that money to cover them. And if I don't use it all, I can use it to help upgrade to a new bike someday...

Later...

Old 03-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Just for the record, no one owns an "HD Extended Warranty" because there is no such product sold by HD. If you wish to continue warranty coverage plus add other services that are not included in the factory warranty (roadside service for example), then you'll need to purchase (or have already purchased) Harley Davidson's Extended Service Plan.

Their ESP's are available in 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7yr plans. What you are purchasing in any of these plans are the number of years you wish to cover your bike in total from the time of purchase. In other words, you're buying the additional years of coverage to extend coverage beyond your factory warranty to the number of years in the plan you're buying.

For more details, check out this link. http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...p?locale=en_us

Here's the list (MSRP) pricing for extended service plans on touring bikes:
3 years $609; add $290 for wheel & tire coverage
4 years $814; add $290 w&t
5 years $999; add $290 w&t
6 years $1,204; add 365 w&t
7 years $1,494; add $365 w&t
Add $150 surcharge if purchased after more than 90 days from the in-service date or mileage is greater than 2000 miles.

All of these ESP prices are negotiable. I paid $967 for a 5 year HD extended service plan including wheel and tire for my 2010 SEUC. This was 25% off the MoCo's MSRP of $1289.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:04 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
I'm an 'anti-warranty' kind of guy too, except I've bought them on my last two motorhomes, last two passenger cars and all four Harley's! Haven't gotten much of a return, but then, since you never know, bought one recently for my Ultra anyway.

As others have stated, you must buy it before the factory warranty runs out. In my case, the price of the H-D service contract would go up $150 after 90 days of the bike purchase. I called around and bought the policy through another H-D dealer that offered a lower price than my selling dealer. Wanted to buy the policy local, but sometimes I get a little irritated always paying more to support my dealer.

Probably will never need it, hopefully I’ll never need it, but still worth the piece of mind to me.
methinks you contradict thyself......

Odds are you are wasting your money on buying an extended warranty (or whatever you call it). Bank some cash and insure yourself, much more economical.

Last edited by mike5511; 03-07-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by mike5511
methinks you contradict thyself......

Odds are you are wasting your money on buying an extended warranty (or whatever you call it). Bank some cash and insure yourself, much more economical.
I'm generally not a big fan of extended warranties or extended service plans, however I think it does make sense for certain products. I think in the case of an Ultra or an SE ultra it's definitely worth the money. An Ultra is very complex and an SE Ultra is even more incredibly complicated.

Once you start factoring in:
  • heated grips
  • heated seats
  • garage door openers
  • cruise control
  • abs brakes
  • rider to passenger intercom
  • CB radio
  • XM radio
  • AM/FM radio
  • Speakers
  • Passenger volume and CB controls
  • Security system
  • power locks
  • gauges
  • lighting in the saddlebags and TP
  • Chrome Wheels
  • the hand controls to manage all these electronics
  • not to mention the cost of an engine or transmission repair,
It becomes very easy to justify an extra $1000 to fully cover the cost of parts and labor for all of these repairs plus towing and accomodations if you break down on the road for a full 5 years. If any 1 or 2 of the items above fail during 5 years you will easily recover the cost of the ESP. Given today's exhorbitant costs for HD labor and parts, you would probably need to put aside $2000+ if you wanted to self-insure for any failures to these components.

Heck, a simple tow to a dealer or home could easily run hundreds of $s if you break down while you're away on a trip.

Last edited by Heatwave; 03-07-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:14 AM
vicsponjr
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

I know this is an old thread but anyone can chime in.

Has anyone ever have an issue and have the dealer NOT honor the extended service plan?

Old 09-08-2014, 03:47 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by menmia
I just wonder if the stealers will handle the 3rd party warranty the same way they do the HD one, or if they will push it back on you. For some reason I see them pushing it back on you to pay their rates and then recover from the 3rd party warranty.
Maybe they would but I too would be reluctant to enter into a 3rd party deal. A 2 party dispute is hard enough to resolve. A 3 party dispute is impossible.

Quick Reply: Harley-Davidson Extended Service Plan