Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10 Limited 103 upper engine rattle noise

Old 09-07-2012, 01:15 PM
jeffRKMC
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 103 noise

I had a 2012 FLHTK that was making a lot of motor noise.. Fought with dealer and Harley for three months and they replaced the bike.. Now have another 2012 FLHTK and it is noisy when cold.. Sounds like valves rattling but this one , the noise goes away when it gets hot !!! Any thoughts whether this is just a typical problem with the 2012 103 ? Has 600 miles on the new one ..

Old 09-07-2012, 01:40 PM
stglideblk
Cruiser

i have same problem on 2012 103

Old 09-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Devo6684
Road Captain

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
Dude... the stones hitting the fender noise IS pinging. You described ping perfectly.

You really need to bite the bullet and get a REAL tuner like PCV, TTS, or SESPT.... learn how to use it, or get a dyno tune, and FIX this issue.

Valvetrain noise sounds like a sewing machine, or a LOUD sewing machine, or a sewing machine that goes tick, tick, tick.............
Yep, sewing machine sound is normal, however, the pinging is not normal. I have used different local stations with 91+ octane and still have pinging issues.
Recently I am now hearing a 'metallicy' sound that gives me the heebyjeebies. This occurs in 4th gear at around 2500 rpms. I am about due for my 5,000 service and called the dealer about my issues. Taking it in next week. The HD service shared that there have been some issues with loose pistons. Not saying this is what it is, but this noise it NOT normal and I am not ignoring it or turning up my music to mask it. A stock bike should not have pinging issues and I definitely should not have to shell out extra cash for a new turner to fix what sounds like a factory/design issue.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:23 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by doc1972
Just last week bought a 2010 Limited and it has alot of engine ping, from what I`ve been reading I guess it`s normal, just anoying
Engine ping and valve train noise are two different animals.

While valve train noise maybe annoying to some, it is normal and is more than likely not hurting a thing in all but the most extreme cases.

On the other hand, if you have pinging this is a much more serious condition and engine damage can occur if not corrected.

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
2,000 is lugging the motor.
There are many more variables, in addition to RPM, necessary to constitute lugging, i.e., gear selected, throttle position, road conditions, uphill, downhill, headwind, tailwind, etc., etc., etc.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:05 PM
wb0zrd
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

If a person replaced the push rods with adjustable (S&S or SE) push rods would that help any? The valve train noise from my 2012 Ultra is really bad...it is going into the shop next week, but from what I'm reading here I'm going to get the "it's normal they all do that" story.

Cheers,
Paul in Colorado

Old 09-07-2012, 11:22 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 103 more noise?

Originally Posted by va spider
Had a noise develop in my 2011 ultra limited. took it to the dealer and they replaced the bearing on in the transmission. i had 4500 miles on it. my buddies started at 1000 miles. both of us got our bikes back and the transmisiion noise is gone but the front cylinder is noisy. I have listened to both of our bikes and they sound pretty much the same. The dealership is saying it is normal that the 103 is noisy. I hope that if there is a problem that it shows itself before the warrranty expires. the trans. bearing i was told they had got some bad bearings at the factory. the dealer i use has only had the problems on the limiteds for some reason.
Why would a 103 factory engine make more noise than the 96"?
I had a flstf 96" in 2007 sewing machine, not to bad.
The Redshift 575 cams took noise up a notch

Old 09-28-2012, 02:01 PM
DRDODGE
Stage III
Default engine noise

I keep reading all these threads and posts regarding the engine noise and getting more depressed about it all the time.
I've owned several Harleys and never had one that developed the noise this 2010 FLHTCU 103" has.
For the first 3K I was extremly pleased with the bike. Then around 3K it developed a "chattering" noise at 1800 up, most noticeable at cruising RPM 2200-2800.
Been back to the dealer 3X for this issue. Was told all the same bunch of BS as most of y'all. Get louder exhaust, turn up the radio, It's NORMAL.
Well.... By Golly, it wasn't there for the first 3K and now it is. NOT NORMAL! If it had made that racket during the test ride, I would have NOT purchased the thing.
The stealer put me on another FLH/103 with 20K on it and guess what? Same noise, only louder!
So, does this make it a normal condition? Maybe.... yet, unacceptable.
The MOCO has to be aware of the issue, and untill it becomes a "safety" concern, they'll choose to do nothing about it.
I can do something about it. I can get rid of this thing as fast as I bought it. Better yet, file a "Lemon law" case against MOCO!
Untill enough of us (customers) get enough of it, they'll continue to "crank out" defective engines out of York or Milwaukee or Mexico or China or wherever these things are coming from. We are paying too much for these machines to have to deal with NVH issues that are unacceptable.
SPEAK UP, Be Heard. Contact Customer service, MOCO, dealers, etc.

BTW, As an experienced technitian, I doubt the noise concern is valve train, spark knock/detonation, lifters, primary drive or cam chain related. I believe it is a little deeper such as piston (wrist) pins, piston skirt (collapse) or cooling nozzle restriction and/or the deletion of such nozzle.
I'm not a HD tech and know nothing of the way this engine is designed. However, I do know (racing) engines in general and what is normal and what is NOT.

I was pleased with my purchase and now I'm disgusted with it. Back to riding the XL1200 or the VRSCSE2.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:50 PM
sche202460
3rd Gear

Man I am with you...bought back in April spent all summer in and out with topend issues..now they say noise may be piston related..sounds like valves just tapping top of piston..hope to hear from dealer soon..btw this is second engine in bike 2012 RK this motor 927 miles last one did not make till 500

Old 09-28-2012, 05:37 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ping

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
Dude... the stones hitting the fender noise IS pinging. You described ping perfectly.

You really need to bite the bullet and get a REAL tuner like PCV, TTS, or SESPT.... learn how to use it, or get a dyno tune, and FIX this issue.

Valvetrain noise sounds like a sewing machine, or a LOUD sewing machine, or a sewing machine that goes tick, tick, tick.............
Yeah, ping sounds like the stones hitting fender, or that metallic rattle can sound.
Hope my (soon to be acquired ) PV will fix the ping, I hope the 222 cam is not prone to produce ping.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:03 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DRDODGE
I keep reading all these threads and posts regarding the engine noise and getting more depressed about it all the time.
I've owned several Harleys and never had one that developed the noise this 2010 FLHTCU 103" has.
For the first 3K I was extremly pleased with the bike. Then around 3K it developed a "chattering" noise at 1800 up, most noticeable at cruising RPM 2200-2800.
Been back to the dealer 3X for this issue. Was told all the same bunch of BS as most of y'all. Get louder exhaust, turn up the radio, It's NORMAL.
Well.... By Golly, it wasn't there for the first 3K and now it is. NOT NORMAL! If it had made that racket during the test ride, I would have NOT purchased the thing.
The stealer put me on another FLH/103 with 20K on it and guess what? Same noise, only louder!
So, does this make it a normal condition? Maybe.... yet, unacceptable.
The MOCO has to be aware of the issue, and untill it becomes a "safety" concern, they'll choose to do nothing about it.
I can do something about it. I can get rid of this thing as fast as I bought it. Better yet, file a "Lemon law" case against MOCO!
Untill enough of us (customers) get enough of it, they'll continue to "crank out" defective engines out of York or Milwaukee or Mexico or China or wherever these things are coming from. We are paying too much for these machines to have to deal with NVH issues that are unacceptable.
SPEAK UP, Be Heard. Contact Customer service, MOCO, dealers, etc.

BTW, As an experienced technitian, I doubt the noise concern is valve train, spark knock/detonation, lifters, primary drive or cam chain related. I believe it is a little deeper such as piston (wrist) pins, piston skirt (collapse) or cooling nozzle restriction and/or the deletion of such nozzle.
I'm not a HD tech and know nothing of the way this engine is designed. However, I do know (racing) engines in general and what is normal and what is NOT.

I was pleased with my purchase and now I'm disgusted with it. Back to riding the XL1200 or the VRSCSE2.

With respect - I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about. I'm on my third Harley all bought new and every one of them has gone through a process of breaking in. The engine does get louder after a few thousand miles. They do that.

What makes it a safety concern? What evidence do you have that the engines are defective?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 10 Limited 103 upper engine rattle noise