Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike walks on side stand

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 08:19 AM
Bay225
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike walks on side stand

Bike walks on side stand "Jiffy Stand" when sitting in the driveway the other day I was standing next to bike talking to neighbor and all of the sudden bike starts to move. Scared the sh--t out of me. Bike was on level
concrete surface. So now I make sure its in gear when I park it. Also I sit on bike when warming her up. I dont let it idle on stand.
Bike moved about 3 inches and I grabbed it so I dont know if it would have fallen over or not. My riding buddy says dont worry the jiffy stand actually locks with weight on it but that movement was not cool with me.
The bike Im talking about is an ultra classic. Also have Fatboy and I let it run on side stand all the time. She does'nt move a lick.
Anyone experience this before?

Old 03-07-2010, 08:31 AM
nchogfan
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I know exactly what you mean. My old Harley had a kick stand that didn't allow the bike to travel once the weight was on it. The stand they use now locks with weight either forwards or backwards. A guy at work sat on mine one day and when he got off it rolled like you described. I almost crapped and someone else even made a comment about it moving forward like the stand was folding up. The dealership said they moved the angle of the stand so it was easier to reach and fold up when sitting on the bike. I looked at other bikes on the floor and they do the same thing. It is very un-nerving to see the bike roll slightly forward when I lean it on the stand because my mind just isn't comfortable with the angle of the stand, but they all do it and have been like that for several years it appears. It does it worse when the bars are straight or turned to the right. Not as much when I turn them to the left.

Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine will Move an inch or two when I put it on the jiffy stand. It's never caused any problems. Just make sure the stand is locked it place, Which I always visually check when parking the bike.

strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I do have a friend with a so called custom jiffy that he has to be very careful with. Do you know if it the original stand? I do not recall an adjustment and I went to look at my 01 RK but my back hurts so friggin bad I can't get down that far. If nobody else gives an answer I will get out my manual but what year is the bike in question?

Old 03-07-2010, 08:37 AM
stewy1200c
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Yah, this happens to me also. It did on my 05 RK and does on my 10 RK. I never had one fall over but it sure gets your attention. I just turn the bars and reset the bike.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:38 AM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had my bike for two years now and I still grab the bike when it starts moving like that. You will never get use to it..............YOU JUST NEVER KNOW !!!!

Old 03-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Bay225
Intermediate

2003 Ultra anniversary Edition. Stock factory stand.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:41 AM
03harleyrider
Advanced

i have a friend who has a 2010 road glide his does this and has actually fell twice i was there to see it once sice then he has changed the kick stand

Old 03-07-2010, 08:44 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've only had that problem if parked on a down hill grade, and it's ok once I lock the bars for the most part, but my bike is 23 years old, so I may not have the extra engineering for easy "kick up"
(Talk about lazy!! Waaahhhh, my kick stand is hard to kick up!! LOL)

Old 03-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Gordon65
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol...gives me a minor panic attack every time too......

i hate that about these stands....

Quick Reply: Bike walks on side stand