Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maine trip

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 03:06 PM
jrdfatboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maine trip

Mid July we are heading east from northern Illinois. We are stopping at Niagra Falls, Lake Placid then out to Maine. Can any nor easter give me an idea for landing spot on the coast. I don't want anything to urban. A small town with mom and pop motels, cold beer, and plenty of lobster. Thanks in advance for any help. Jim

Old 03-09-2010, 03:19 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bar Harbor is an awesome place to use as a base to check out the sights for a couple of days.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:00 PM
stewy1200c
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know if you'll be around on July 22-24th but the Maine State H.O.G. Rally is at Sugarloaf Mountain. Great riding and it sounds like a good time. http://www.mestatehogrally.com

Old 03-09-2010, 04:16 PM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,768 Likes on 10,188 Posts

Originally Posted by petemac
Bar Harbor is an awesome place to use as a base to check out the sights for a couple of days.
gaak Don't go there as its filled with tourists and the
price of lobstah at a restaurant is quite high.

I work in Bar Harbor and live just 10 minutes from downtown. Acadia National Park is quite scenic, and a sunrise from atop Cadillac Mountain is a must.

Shoot me a message if you're serious about coming .....with times you'll be here, and how long you'll be in the area.......I can lay out a few pointers for ya.

Terry

Old 03-09-2010, 06:30 PM
jdiamondv
Cruiser

Bring plenty of warm clothes, rain gear and winter gloves with you. I was there last july and it rained for the 3 days we were in Bar Harbor.I agree with the prices in the resturants however there are lobster pounds all over the area and they are better priced. I liked being in the town because there were bars, restaurants that were within walking distance, it was cold in the 40s and rain every night so riding on 2 wheels just didnt make sense.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Rick05FLH
Novice
Thumbs up Greetings from Maine. ENJOY THAT TRIP!!!

I've covered some of your route the last couple of years in reverse when we went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and then to the Harley Museum.. Watch out for deer in the mountains around Lake Placid. There were more along the roads there then I have seen anywhere. One rider in our group hit one at about 50 mph but did not go down. He had some serious shakes when we got stopped however. Take the ferry across Lake Champlain from Plattsburg, NY to Grand Isle, VT. for a short reasonably priced boat ride.(http://www.ferries.com/north_schedule.asp) It's only about a 15 minute ride and I think we paid $5.00 for bike and rider. The ferries at this crossing run about ever 1/2 hour so you do not have to have your timing to critical.
I would highly reccomend planning your route through the White Mountains of New Hampshire and if the time is right hit the Moat Mountain Smokehouse and Brewery for some GREAT food in North Conway, NH.(http://moatmountain.com/) We make many day trips to this area from the coast of maine in the summer. It's about 3 hours from here to Rockland on the coast of Maine were I live.
Some of the best riding you can do is in that White Mountain area.
I don't know the dates of your trip but the North Atlantic Blues Festival is in Rockland, ME in Harbor Park on the water on July 10 & 11 this year. The night of the 10th Main Street is shut down to traffic and there are bands everywhere in businesses and out in the street that night. Check out (http://www.northatlanticbluesfestival.com/index.html) It's a great biker friendly event. If you think you want to stay in the area then do your research and book asap as things fill up for miles and miles.
It's pretty easy to see alot along the coast. Previously I read Acadia and Bar Harbor mentioned. That is a great area as well and o nly 80 miles or so from Rockland. Depending on your available time you may not have to choose one area over another.
Enjoy the trip. If I can be of any help in your planning just let me know.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:24 PM
spiker
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife and I did that same trip from Wisconsin.There was this one bed and breakfast in Maine that was fantastic,was very close to this well known light house.Beautiful area.You'll love riding though Vermont and New Hampshire also.I'll try to find the name of that B&B,if you remember and are interested PM me in about a week.I have allot going on these next few day to look for it.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:20 PM
jrdfatboy
Tourer

Great info guys, I really appreciate it. We will be on the coast on 7/19 or 7/20 give or take a day. Looking at our time schedule, if we would go to portland then head north, is there some smaller fishing villages in that area without going all the way to Bar Harbor? I don't think i will need my rain suit, It is going to be 80 and sunny when we are there. extended forcast said so

Old 03-09-2010, 08:40 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

LOL bud, you can't go 2 miles without hitting small fishing villages. You are on the coast of Maine, that's all there is. Just north of Portland is Freeport, home of LL Bean and then just above that is Booth Bay Harbor. It's a nice little place to visit. Keep in mind, you are coming to Maine during the height of its tourist season and the coast is its biggest draw.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.fiveislandslobster.com/
Nice spot with off the boat lobster - literally. Fair prices, beautiful area a bit off the beaten path. Bit south of Bath. Highly recommend this place and the scenery.

In Freeport http://www.freeportusa.com/freeportmember081.html Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster.

Quick Reply: Maine trip