Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I went Down Friday Evening.... I am blessed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 03:41 PM
Modee1245
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I went Down Friday Evening.... I am blessed!!!

I have often read post of friends and riders having wrecks on their scoot and was always told that one day I would too have one. I always thought that I was extra careful etc. that it would not happen to me.

Well, this past Friday, the weather was really nice here in the Houston area, so I left work early and decided to take a long ride. For some reason I decided to take my bike to the shop and have the tire pressure checked, the guy said it was all ok and I hit the road. On my way up to Brian College Station area, the ride went smooth, a bit windy, actually windy as heck but it was enjoyable. No problems with the bike, everything seemed fine.

I stopped and had dinner at a place called Fish Daddy if you have never eaten there and you are in the area try them it was great. Dinner and Ice tea, set around and talked with a few peolple I met. Around 6pm I decide that traffic would probably be light so I departed on my 120 mile ride back home. I got on the freeway just fine, and was going along when I came up to my first slight curve, I rode through it with no problems, came up to my next curve and I noticed the bike seem sort of funny, but I thought maybe I did not control it just as I should, about 15 mins later I came up to my next curve and the bike would not turn smooth, then I started to feel like I was floating or something, at that time I decide that I should prob pull off and check the bike out. There were a few cars around me so I decided that I would pull ahead a bit as the bike handled fine going straight, I was already going about 70, so I slowed down to about 55mph, and attempted to exit, I heard was a loud pop and the front end just went crazy, next thing I knew I was hitting the pavement in the middle of the damn freeway, I felt my head hit the ground and my momentum flipped me over to me being on my stomach. I looked up and saw the cars coming straight at me so I pushed my body to start a roll and kept rolling until I was on the median of the freeway. Next I heard screaching of tires from the vehicles attempting to stop. I am not sure if I blacked out, all I know is I looked up and people were standing over me one lady said she was a nurse and she was checking me out etc. From what I was told my front tire had a blow out ( I just bought that tire 2 weeks ago, the insurance thinks I was sold a old tire that was probably defective)

God is good, because of those people who came to help me and the fact that I was not seriously hurt. I was taken to the hospital by ambulance and the doctors said not only was I lucky to be alive, but I was lucky to be in the shape I was in being that I hit the ground going 55mph and none of the cars hit me.

Normally I don't wear my Leather coat, boots, gloves and helmet on a nice day ride, but for some reason I decided to put it all on that day. The doctor showed me the boots and said that had I only been wearing tennis shoes I probably would have lost some toes from my feet skidding on the pavement, my helmet you could see where my head hit the ground and my jacket was scarred with road debris.. The only thing that I wrong with me was my knees got road rash and scraped with me rolling to get out of the road and my back and hips are very sore from hitting the ground.

I am not sure what shape my bike is in as I have yet to see it, but one of the Highway patrol offices said they were amazed because it looks like it was never even down. Either way I'm not too concerned with the bike thats what insurance is for.

All I can say is thank God for his blessings. Guys I am one who always said I dont need to wear gear, no helmet etc. I want to look cool, but let me tell you this. That gear saved my life. Especially my helmet (half face), with my head hitting the ground, I will wear it now whenever I ride. Also, one of the strangest things is a friend whom I met for lunch had left me a message about 5 mins before my crash, telling me to be safe because they had just passed an accident where 2 sport bikes crashed and one of the riders was covered with a sheet. I did not get to listen to the message until after i was released from the hospital.

It all seems surreal to me, freaking me as all out doors. All I can say is I don't know how those cars did not hit me, espcially this black SUV who went right passed me as I was going down. Not sure if any of you have ever gone down, but its a feeling I dont want to experience again.

IF ANY OF YOU ARE FROM THE BRYAN COLLEGE STATION AREA... You all have some wonderful people there, all of those who stopped and rendered aid to me I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Guys, please be safe, check your gear and your tires....

Modee.....

Old 03-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad you are ok, You never know when it's going to happen. Where did you buy your tire's. It would be interesting to know if you were sold a used tire.
Anyway, Thank God you are ok. Stay safe!

Old 03-15-2010, 03:54 PM
cooper57M
Tourer

Glad you made it with out major injury.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:03 PM
NYBagger92
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank God you are alright.
I think you are the second HD Forums rider this week that went down, and woke up to a nurse.

Feel better!

Old 03-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Beak
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 131 Posts

Glad your ok!!!! About being extra careful. Theres an old saying. Their are two types of riders, those who have been down and those who will go down. Damn few riders can say they havent been down sometime or another. Its good you sustained no serious injuries.

Last edited by Beak; 03-15-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 191 Posts

Holy Crap! I'm glad your Alright.

Rain
Tourer

Really glad to hear you were okay. Wasn't your day to meet the Maker.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:24 PM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Thank God you are OK BE SAFE JIM

Old 03-15-2010, 04:25 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

from the length of your post, I can see you didn't hurt your fingers, glad your aok

Old 03-15-2010, 04:31 PM
exemexer
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same sentiments to you as all the previous posters, don't know if you have ever been down before but let's hope that is the last time. One thing, I don't know how hard your head hit - check out your helmet, maybe time for a new one & mount that one on the wall or sometin'. Stay safe.

Quick Reply: I went Down Friday Evening.... I am blessed!!!