Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First HD...First Ride...First Impression

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 07:25 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default First HD...First Ride...First Impression

So, one last day of nice weather here in MN before a cold front comes in for the next week - was getting bummed I haven't been able to take my bike out during this past week of beautiful weather - have been waiting for my title and plates (had my credit union handle the transfer). Well, lucky me! It all came in the mail today. So, I put on the plate and took her for a ride...my "new-to-me" 2000 Road King Classic!

FIRST IMPRESSION: First thing I noticed was the smooth response of the engine....later I felt the idle-shake I've heard all about...teeth rattling....cool though...so far. The ergonomics of the bike were great - the bars are higher than stock and I'm sitting on a very comfortable Sundowner Solo - hope it stays comfy on long hauls! One thing I need to do is extend the rear brake pedal forward - it's a little cramped - I assume this can be done. I will likely get the floorboard extenders too - right foot was not quite "on". All in all, I loved it! I even extended my ride blowing right past my street for a little while longer.

Thought I was in trouble though - tried installing the digital guard dog....Click....spark! Whisp of smoke from battery....I'll detail in another post....

Old 03-18-2010, 07:32 PM
BuckeyeRider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats and welcome Brother.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:47 PM
mnskip
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats. By your description, it must be a looker. Throw us some pics when you get the chance. Now I'm not the one to talk about no pics, I just remembered I need to do that. Yea, the weather is a turning, but no snow thank God.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:57 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He might be stuck just looking at it. Sounds like he just cooked something.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:59 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mnskip
Congrats. By your description, it must be a looker. Throw us some pics when you get the chance. Now I'm not the one to talk about no pics, I just remembered I need to do that. Yea, the weather is a turning, but no snow thank God.
Yeah, it's sharp looking bike. I can't find the pics on my computer but I made a photo album in my profile some time ago...check it out.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:10 PM
oldbagr
Road Master

Congrats on the new (to you) scoot; sounds like a great ride! Enjoy and keep the shiny side up.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:31 PM
BackAgain
Banned

Have had many bikes and my first ride on a Harley was a WOW factor how you sit in it not on it.......This my 06 Ultra

Attached Thumbnails First HD...First Ride...First Impression-2006-ultra.jpg  

Last edited by BackAgain; 03-18-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:37 PM
Cats RKC
Advanced

Good lookin chrome King Jack. You'll have many, many great memories on it. Your first Harley is like your first kiss, you'll never forget it.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda, but you meet the coolest folks on a Harley.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:11 PM
mmeddle1
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new RK. Beautiful bike!

Old 03-18-2010, 10:43 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice...

Do yourself a favor before going out and buying the (expensive) extended brake pedal -- Put the (cheap) floorboard outward extenders on first and try it for a few miles...

I'm somewhat of a sasquatch myself - extended the pedal on my old RK (It was... It was lots of money, whatever it was).

Had the same issue on my SG and I planned on getting another extended pedal - but first, I got the (Soos?) extenders put on and the brake pedal suddenly seemed fine (probably because I could suddenly put my giant rear paw anywhere I wanted).

Quick Reply: First HD...First Ride...First Impression