Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power For Your Saddlebag

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 02:01 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Power For Your Saddlebag

Setting my bike up for a road trip and I already have an external Powerlet power mount mounted next to the horn, it's only good when I'm near the bike. I knew I wanted something to charge my accessories that was kept out of the weather and was secure.

I ordered the Powerlet Basic Luggage electric Tankbag and Saddlebag Power Kit, PTB-004 - $59.95. Has an external SAE quick disconnect with covers. Inside the bag comes with a Y-Cable that has a lighter type plug and SAE plug and Powerlet makes different cable if you need something else.

I used the metal mounting plate has a template, mounted that by drilling five holes that left me with the center large hole to be drilled/Dremeled. I used a Hole Drill Bit which was not big enough and then a Dremel to make it bigger, I kept the metal backing plate on acting as a guide. The fittings are nicely made and the product looks factory to those that don’t know and it can’t be scene from the outside at all.

Overall it’s an easy job but was nervous drilling holes in my bag, once you drill the first hole it’s easy from there. Thought I would share this with you, I own a few Powerlet products and they make a quality product, a little pricey but you get what you pay for, compared to chrome it’s cheap. More resourceful people I’m sure could build the kit for less that’s not me.

Some photos, I have more if needed.

From Powerlet's Site

Last edited by EricD10563; 05-01-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:26 PM
jimsreddyna
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Great idea! Good pictures. I will copy your idea.

Thanks.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:28 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 3 Powerlet sources on my '09 Road Glide.

1 on the speedo-tach housing to power my Zumo
1 inside a glove box to power small stuff like my cellphone, hair dryer & curling iron
1 on the horn to power heated gear

I also picked up their fuse block to keep from having all those extra wires connected to the battery. The fuse block has 4 positions. I may pickup the kit you installed and mount it in the same location.

Looks good!

BTW...Powerlet also makes cellphone chargers to plug into the Powerlet socket for damn near every cellphone out there.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:29 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BadPiggy
I also picked up their fuse block to keep from having all those extra wires connected to the battery. The fuse block has 4 positions. I may pickup the kit you installed and mount it in the same location.
Good idea I have three wires coming off each terminal now, main wire(s) and one for each Powerlet product. Do you have any pictures of your fuse block setup? Did you have to swap out the terminals?

I tried to get a picture from the outside, it's so hidden I couldn't get a photo.

Last edited by EricD10563; 03-27-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:50 PM
bmorebhoy
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Powerlet do make great equipment, I have the Powerlet Plus handlebar mount for the GPS on both the RKC and Sporty.
I have the same saddlebag rig in my RKC bag and it's great. Sometimes on group rides I don't want to mount the GPS on the bars but I can power it in the saddlebag and it will record my travels and then I can download the route on my computer.
I have the horn mounted outlet as well but I've never used it. To get the adapter for my Gerbing heated gear back to me the cable gets too close to the engine and header for comfort so I'm thinking of pulling it and just running the Gerbing cable.
I have the terminal blocks from Powerlet and haven't tried mounting it to the RKC yet. There wasn't much of a place for it on the Sportster.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:05 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member

Never thought about just keeping the GPS in the saddlebag to record the track, thanks. I'm setting my bike up for a six month tour around North America and I'm about done the only other add on I'm about to do is the HD Foglights.

Think I have enough stuff?

Last edited by EricD10563; 05-01-2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-29-2010, 06:08 PM
bmorebhoy
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome, Eric. I'm hoping to go cross country, just 3 months. Thinking of getting a netbook so I can check email, look for attractions and plot my course on Google and transfer it to the Garmin GPS. I want to get a Spot Tracker too. Have a safe and great trip.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:36 PM
rerb95
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks sweet! I got the parts, just got to get the bike out of storage.. then I will have a similar setup, Looks clean!

Old 03-29-2010, 07:48 PM
Red.Road.Glide
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

That would be a damn cool acc. in a RG glove box for charging iPhone/iPod, etc.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:43 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bmorebhoy
Awesome, Eric. I'm hoping to go cross country, just 3 months. Thinking of getting a netbook so I can check email, look for attractions and plot my course on Google and transfer it to the Garmin GPS. I want to get a Spot Tracker too. Have a safe and great trip.
Here is away to keep everything together and makes good use of what is a lot of unused space. I've been trying to get the most out of my limited space and also organize things so I know where things are. Homedepot sells small to medium bags with zippers that are cheap and are a good way to organize your stuff.