Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not having any luck bleeding from brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Not having any luck bleeding front brakes.

After installing new bars, braided lines, and chrome calipers, we just can't seem to get the dam things to purge completely of air.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by Wally; 04-02-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:46 PM
SuperAir
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forcing the fluid in thru the bleeder screws works well. Or some sort of Mighty Vac/ vacuum pump. After getting some lever feel, let the fluid stabilize for a little while then bleed regularly. You may need need to turn the bars to make sure the banjo at the master cyl is not the highest point, or the air will just stay there.

ETA: Pushing the pistons slowly back into the calipers can get rid of stubborn air as well. If you have sticky pistons, the air may be gone, but the brakes will still feel spongey.

Last edited by SuperAir; 04-01-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Scooter68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try pulling in the front brake lever and tie it up with a bungee cord. Let it sit over night, then take a screwdriver and tap the brake res, and release the lever and try it then. It should get a lot of the air out, someone had a write up on here in the DIY section and it worked great for me last year at this time. I also bought speed bleeders and put those in also.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:46 PM
hot95hog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperAir
Forcing the fluid in thru the bleeder screws works well. Or some sort of Mighty Vac/ vacuum pump. After getting some lever feel, let the fluid stabilize for a little while then bleed regularly. You may need need to turn the bars to make sure the banjo at the master cyl is not the highest point, or the air will just stay there.
Totally agree, it works the best to initially bleed from the screw on the caliper just pump away, then go back and do it from the master cylinder as normal.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:53 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Tie the brake lever back with the M/C lid off and leave it over night. Had that work a couple times.

Mark

Old 04-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Also you can open the caliper bleeder and pour in a full amount of fluid into the master cylinder and just let it run through th system being very carefull never to let it run low and introduce more air. Basically your flooding the lines via gravity......

I've done that for peace of mind knowing that I have introduced a contiguious amount of fluid into the system for sure. THen I bleed as normal.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:58 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 101 Posts

Pump slowly - like you love her - and watch the air bubbles rise in the MC. Seriously !

Old 04-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

We were at it for over an hour, and although we did get some feel in it, it isn't purged yet.
What if there is a high spot in the line?
Like were it goes from the master cylinder in under the dash pod, and across and up so it can go down the fork leg to the t fitting.
Is it possible there is air caught in there and we just need to keep purging?

Old 04-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by SuperAir

ETA: Pushing the pistons slowly back into the calipers can get rid of stubborn air as well. If you have sticky pistons, the air may be gone, but the brakes will still feel spongey.
If I buy a Mighty Vac, and push the fluid up, should I be starting with an empty or nearly empty master cyclinder?

Old 04-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Moonrider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scooter68
Try pulling in the front brake lever and tie it up with a bungee cord. Let it sit over night, then take a screwdriver and tap the brake res, and release the lever and try it then. It should get a lot of the air out, someone had a write up on here in the DIY section and it worked great for me last year at this time. I also bought speed bleeders and put those in also.
What he said. I used a wire tie. Just make sure you have the master cyl. cover loose ( so the air can come out) and when you let the lever back do it slowly the first time. I suspect that you are getting air back in the master cyl. when you release the lever. Its real important to have the cyl level when bleeding brakes.

Quick Reply: Not having any luck bleeding from brakes.