Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Stall King Touring Model

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 07:53 AM
deer30084
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Harley Stall King Touring Model

I own the new Harley Davidson Stall King Classicl. That's right folks. Ever since June 2009, my '06 FLHRCI, Road King Classic (Now the Stall King Classic) has had an intermittent stalling problem. It would stall when stopping several times in one day and wouldn't do it again until next month or so. Now it stalls frequently when slowing down and squeezing the clutch. Gee, maybe Harley put the engine cut off switch in the clutch rather than the button on the handlebar! I'm fed up with this! $20,000 (I bought it new) and I have a motorcycle that stalls like the '66 Volkswagon I used to own as a college kid! My Yamaha didn't do that! Since it happens so much, it can't be bad fuel or water in the fuel. I'm taking it to a shop this week when the fuel filter comes in. They will check my fuel lines. I'm willing to bet I am going to face a lot of replace this and replace that over the next few months and nothing will stop the stalling! I've read a lot of possibilities on this site: spark plug wires, sensors, fuel lines. The list is endless and thanks to all of your input in my previous post. I remember a salesman at the H-D dealer say "You can't beat a Harley." Yeah sure.

Last edited by deer30084; 04-03-2010 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Said something maybe I shouldn't have said
Old 04-02-2010, 08:49 AM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 307 Likes on 117 Posts

I definitely can understand your frustration. I, too, would be pissed if I was experiencing a similar problem. The best course of action for you is to remain calm and approach the problem from a logical perspective. Your engine is in a million bikes and giving good service all over the world. The problem you're experiencing is likely a minor one. You don't mention if your bike is stock, if you've got a fuel management device, etc. I'm assuming you've done nothing more than AF and pipes. The first thing I would do is check to see if your bike has registered any codes (the electrical diagnostic manual tells you how to check). There's also the possibility you've got some crud floating around inside your tank that is clogging your filter when you apply the brakes and slow the bike down from cruising speed. When you open the dash console to change your filter you can have a look-see inside to find out if this is true. Again, the Service Manual is indispensable for these things. I'm sure that whatever it is it's not serious. If all eslse fail it looks as if your bike is still under warranty so get it in and see what they can tell you. Take it to a known good dealer in your area and let them diagnose the problem. You've got a fine machine there, just exhibiting some "winter flu" symptoms. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet. Keep us posted...

Old 04-02-2010, 08:51 AM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 307 Likes on 117 Posts

Hey John, I just saw where you're in Panama City. We should get together for a ride sometime. As for "known good" dealers in our area, I always trusted Pensacola Harley since '99. It's the farthest from our neck of the woods but I prefer to go there rather than Dothan or Tallahassee. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you my number.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:53 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Have your tech check the speed sensor. My bike (a RK Classic too!) did that a few times times last summer...at stop lights, whenever I pulled in the clutch, etc. The first sensor they replaced was faulty, but the second one's fixed the problem. Do a search on this subject. There were several owners reporting similar problems last summer/fall.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:10 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Personally can't stand post like this, Enjoy your victory, I am sure you could find a patch big enough to cover the Harley patches on your jacket.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:21 AM
timvan
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by leicafish
Personally can't stand post like this, Enjoy your victory, I am sure you could find a patch big enough to cover the Harley patches on your jacket.
I pretty much agree with you. Granted, I would be pissed if I were the OP but to throw the "im going to trade for (XYZ)" is used on a HD forum kind of makes one wonder about the intent.

Sounds like the dealer your using isnt much help, switch to another and call HD customer service BEFORE you drop the bike off. This will get the ball rolling a bit faster for you.

There are plenty of people on here willing to help, you just have to ask.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:31 AM
slime_dog
Tourer

Maybe you should ride on to victory! Have fun riding your new converted snowmobile (sic. Polaris)

So, you ended up with a problematic bike from HD. It's a very unusual problem. Why not treat it that way instead of bashing Harley Davidson as a whole. Just because a tech can't find your little random problem doesn't mean that the other million plus owners are going to join you in a boycott. Or, better yet, educate yourself and fix it yourself if you can't get satisfaction from your dealer.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:39 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

I'm new to Harley and bought a 2010 EGC, I love it so far. I do know that the new Harley's wont start in gear any more without the clutch pulled in. Could this sensor or relay in the clutch be bad and causing your problem? Just a thought. I wouldn't give up on it yet. I think Harley hit a home run with the new touring frame, I know I'm impressed with handling and I rode metric's for years.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:42 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by leicafish

+1. Was willing to help... not now. I'm not going to waste my time.

Victorys are awesome bikes. Go for it.

lp

Old 04-02-2010, 10:27 AM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My bike came with 2 year warranty , sounds to me like you've got still got over a year of warranty left, take it back and let them fix it.

Quick Reply: Harley Stall King Touring Model