Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voltage

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 01:58 AM
odie-in-az
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voltage

Some time back I had a problem with my voltage readings. I would be riding down the road and my voltage would jump from 14 down to 10 and back up and finally settling back to 10 or 11. I checked all connections and checked the battery. I slow charged my battery all night and stil had the same problem. I took my voltage regulator off and cleaned everything really well and replaced the lock washer they use for good contact and put a lock washers underneath both side of the VR for good connection. Solved the problem for about 3 months. Then I was on a run and my voltage readings were going crazy and dropping below 12 and staying. I pulled over and removed the VR and cleaned it...problem solved. Another month passed and I was crusing around town with my aux lights and came to a red light. Voltage dropped to 12. I twisted the wick and as long as I was opening the throttle the voltage would jump up to 14 again but down at idle it would drop to 12. If I turned the Aux lights off and just ran with my head lamp I held a 14. The HD dealers checked my bike out and said my charging system is good. I do not want to have to remove my VR every other week and clean it just to maintain 14. Has this happened to anybody and how did you fix it?

Old 04-08-2010, 02:13 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

star washers work great in this application. you can either get the internal ones or external, and they look sort of like a miniature circular saw blade. that would give you a better tooth to the ground, and some bulb grease where the washer contacts the voltage regulator and ground might be a good idea also. i cannot think of the name of that grease but hopefully you know what i'm talking about. it's also used for electrical connections and terminals. it prevents electralosis, or slows it down a bunch. not a bad idea to scrub your battery lugs where contact is made also, and using a little bit of the same sort of grease there too. hope you get it figured out. those star washers are really cheap at any hardware store.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:21 AM
odie-in-az
Tourer

Thanks for the tip. I will pull the VR again and replace with star washers and use the grease your refering to. I don't know the name either but I know it promotes conductivity. Thanks for an outside prospective.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:36 AM
FLS2FLH
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know Noalox is a conductive grease product that is used in aluminum applications. Not sure if you would want to use that. I'd say go to a local Grainger or good electrical supply house and tell them what your application is. They should be able to take care of you. Some of this stuff can be a little pricey... but you only need a little!

Old 04-08-2010, 07:05 AM
bigtone
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the way the circuit in the voltage regulator works, if you lose the ground the output goes to full charge, as it can no longer regulate. Did you look real close at the connection thru the case for the regulator? I've had a few of my own over the years get oil in there and burn thru the contacts. It sounds like it's dropping to no charge, just reading battery voltage at times. An intermittant problem like that can be hard to find, as it could be either the stator or regulator, not just a connection.

Attached Thumbnails Voltage-bothbikes.jpg  
Old 04-08-2010, 08:14 AM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

NYK corrosion preventive compound is what you are looking for.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:43 AM
odie-in-az
Tourer

Originally Posted by bigtone
I'm not entirely sure, but I think the way the circuit in the voltage regulator works, if you lose the ground the output goes to full charge, as it can no longer regulate. Did you look real close at the connection thru the case for the regulator? I've had a few of my own over the years get oil in there and burn thru the contacts. It sounds like it's dropping to no charge, just reading battery voltage at times. An intermittant problem like that can be hard to find, as it could be either the stator or regulator, not just a connection.
All connections look good and clean. I even cleaned in between the fins on the VR for oil and dirt. I'm gonna fool with it today and I'll update on the progress.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:44 AM
odie-in-az
Tourer

Originally Posted by Moe55
NYK corrosion preventive compound is what you are looking for.
I'll check into this. Where's the best place to get it?