Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 04:47 PM
gwcrim
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Duals question

I've been searching and reading and still haven't come to a decision yet.

The bike: 2007 Ultra with SE Touring muffs, SE a/c, and a Power Commander.

Me: Gearhead, ex-racer, want QUIET and low end torque.

I know that a 2-1 seems to be the best for power. However, I want to eliminate the crossover to keep my leg cool in traffic. I ran true duals on a Sportster and wasn't over impressed but the Big Twins seem to have different power deliver characteristics.

I'm more interested in quantifiable dyno results as the seat of the pants dyno is the worst. So.......

How perceptible is the low end power loss with true duals compared to the stock headers as well as say a SuperTrapp 2-1? Would a 2-1 be as hot as the stock crossover?

I have a line on a set of Bub Crossdressers. Are there any issues with these?

Last edited by gwcrim; 04-11-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:00 PM
dbr1990
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I don't believe you would notice the small amount of torque loss when installing true duels on a stock engine.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:31 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

I have written on HDF in the past that while there is a popular belief that true-duals suffer a torque loss, nobody has given any evidence to support this. In my old evo I have an S&S 107 with a TD system on it. S&S recommends TDs as a suitable system and my bike slightly exceeds their spec sheets. I have never tried any other system, but my bike runs just fine!

I have a set of Samson TD pipes with S&S oval mufflers. If they are not quiet enough for you, they make bolt-in baffles.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:55 PM
gwcrim
Tourer

I suspect I'll stick with the Touring muffs.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:33 PM
surfcitybum
Road Captain

Been running True Duals on my 07 RKC and haven't noticed any type of low end torque loss. Running a stock motor and I am totally satisfied with the looks and the power. BTW, I run Vance & Hines

Old 04-12-2010, 02:55 PM
gwcrim
Tourer

I snagged a set of brand new black Bub true duals on Ebay for less than $250 shipped. I called Bub and they said the pipes are ceramic coated as well as the shields. A little tweak of the PCIII and my leg will probably be fine.

I'm still thinking about mufflers but we'll see how things work out with the headers.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:14 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

The stock mufflers will probably be too small to fit on the Bub headpipes as I think the Bubs will have 2" outlets and the stock head pipes should be 1 3/4", check it out and see.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:09 AM
UltraPoppy
Cruiser

The Bub's head pipes are 1.75 inches. It is the Rinehart head pipes that Bub's use to make that were 2 inches where the head pipe and Reinhart mufflers went together. That was only on the full system Rineharts. The Rinehart slip-ons were 1.75 inches.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:27 AM
silverbullitt
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a set of Bub Crossdressers for my 05 Road King. The fitment on the left side was horrible. Had to do a lot of modifications to make it fit. Never again.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:34 AM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Been running true duals on my last two bikes which were stock except for the basic stage I. I here lots about loosing some low end torque but I didn't notice any and I ride alot 2 up. Love the sound!

Quick Reply: True Duals question