Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder cut out when hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
It's a feature, not a problem.
+1.........Just turn it on and leave it on. The ECM will do the rest.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:10 PM
pastorralph
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raptor1956
The 09 has the heat management feature that you can turn off and on as you desire. It is an option for 08 and 07 that needed to be programed in. If you have an 09 I suggest you take the time to read your owners manual. If your dealer told you it was an option for 09 you might want to consider looking for a new dealer. Take a rain day and read your owners manual it will answer all of your questions about your bike.
Ditto on that. It's easily turned on and off. Not an option, just an option to turn it on or off.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:21 PM
chasswartz
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by harley-jones
No..I never requested it. The bike has been dyno tuned with the SE race tuner. I guess the tech that tuned it must have set it up.

This feature can be turned on or off with the Super Tuner.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Glyder
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It still pumps fuel when it goes into EITMS.....thats how it cools the engine....it just does'nt fire the rear cylinder. If you have the TTS you can program it to alternate front and rear cylinders instead of just the rear.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Glyder
It still pumps fuel when it goes into EITMS.....thats how it cools the engine....it just does'nt fire the rear cylinder. If you have the TTS you can program it to alternate front and rear cylinders instead of just the rear.
Sorry, but it does turn off the rear cylinder fuel injector. If it did just turn off the ignition this would bad as it would just fill the rear cylinder w/fuel.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:40 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

This is a good feature, why would you want to turn it off?

Old 05-15-2010, 02:15 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Glyder
If you have the TTS you can program it to alternate front and rear cylinders instead of just the rear.
Where do you see this in the TTS?

Old 05-15-2010, 03:13 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dionicio
Yep the heat management system works that way. When cylinder head temps rise to 278 deg, the rear cyl fuel inj. is shut off, and helps to cool off the engine, as the rear cyl functions as an air pump. Ps: I leave mine Enabled all the time. Good Insurance to keep My engine from overheating.
That is absolutely correct. My ’09 TG lives in a climate of 120* + OAT and I leave my ETIMS enabled all the time but since installing a LeNale Cylinder Fan, Jagg 10 Row Oil Cooler with a Oil Cooler Fan, Jackpot Head Pipes, PC-V and Stage-1 A/C my EITMS never comes on. I reduced my engine oil temps from 300* to 230* on a 100* OAT day!

My engine and my legs are much happier now!

Old 05-15-2010, 05:15 PM
09ultraclassicrider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by harley-jones
We took a trip down to New Orleans and rode down Bourbon street at a crawl. I heard the motor change sound and I could tell that one cylinder was not firing. As soon as I came off idle the everything went back to normal.

It was a hot day and I assume that this was the ECM shutting down one cylinder because of the heat.

Anyone else had the happen?

It kind of freaked me out at first but we rode the 600 miles home without a problem.
i have an 09 ultra and it is designed to do shut the rear cylinder down in the heat when you are in traffic or in a parade. I have been told that you can roll the throttle forward past zero (or idle) while sitting at a stop light and shut the rear cylinder down, I havent tried it though to see if it works. mine does it automatically when it is hot enough.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:16 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Raptor1956
The 09 has the heat management feature that you can turn off and on as you desire. It is an option for 08 and 07 that needed to be programed in. If you have an 09 I suggest you take the time to read your owners manual. If your dealer told you it was an option for 09 you might want to consider looking for a new dealer. Take a rain day and read your owners manual it will answer all of your questions about your bike.
I might should do that. I don't suppose everyone reads their entire owners manual. My bad! I should have worded my post a little differently. I was really talking about the twisting the throttle backwards option. I think he called it the Parade Mode. I guess if that's part of the same system as the heat management then that what I was referring to. Thanks for the advice. I'll get after the service tech the next time I go.

Last edited by shortride; 05-15-2010 at 08:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Cylinder cut out when hot