Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dragon vs. Snake

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 07:20 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,656 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Originally Posted by DuraGlide
As long as you are in the area, try Va Rt16 from Marion to Tazwell. Called the "Dragons Back". Signs prohibiting vehicles over 35ft. Rode it on a beautiful Saturday couple of weeks ago. Met maybe 5 cars and 4 bikes. No drama and a beautiful ride.
I have always referred to it as the back of the dragon but same place. Plenty of fun with many other fine rides in the area. Gas station/gift shop at a major intersection where bikes usually congregate/rest after the workout from the ride. Much needed at that point.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:01 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 983 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by tenn.vol.
Been there done dat, if you are talking 421 from Bristol to Weber City?
About 5 yrs ago when 6 or 7 of us went to Little Sturges. (KY)
Now if you have the time keep going to a Jonesville, Va. and take 70
over the mountain(s) to Rogersville, TN. I think that will put BOTH to
shame. Enjoy and be safe.......... Tenn.Vol
I used to recommend that route to riders that want scenic and curvy. If you continue on TN70 to NC208 and go on to Mars Hill to I-26, it is as good a ride as TN70 in Rogersville.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:12 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

Tagging, heading down that way soon.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:38 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by highwayking
Got a two-day ride planned for next week from Charlotte, NC to Bristol, TN/VA then back. On the way back we're riding the section of Hwy 421 known as The Snake. I've ridden the Tail of the Dragon, but never ridden the Snake. I know that the Snake is longer (33 miles vs. 11 miles) and has a few more curves, but I'm interested in the impressions of those who have ridden both and how do they compare?
The Snake is at altitude and boring, with sand in the curves, but worth a 1 time ride. No comparison to the Dragon. The Moonshiner is the best of all of them, followed by Wayalah Rd and then the Cherohola Pkwy.
Damn, OP is 7 years old.

Last edited by checkers; 04-07-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:28 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

I rode a few hours out of the way on a planned trip once to ride the snake. I rode it wondering the whole time when I would get to the good part. Once I saw all there was to see of the snake, I continued on to where I was going. I never did figure out why anyone would recommend that strip of road as a destination ride.

If I am in the area again, I would probably ride it if it wasn't out of my way, but I don't think there is a road in that area that isn't just as much fun as the snake.

Dennis

Old 04-08-2017, 09:28 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by DuraGlide
As long as you are in the area, try Va Rt16 from Marion to Tazwell. Called the "Dragons Back". Signs prohibiting vehicles over 35ft. Rode it on a beautiful Saturday couple of weeks ago. Met maybe 5 cars and 4 bikes. No drama and a beautiful ride.
I'm riding that next week for the first time. Looking forward to it. Also re-riding the Tail of the Dragon (have a new guy riding with us that wants to do it.) In my view the Tail is a been there, done that, got the t-shirt sort of thing. Moonshiner 28 is prettier. We are also riding the Cherohala Skyway this time, so also looking forward to that.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:09 AM
drcollie
Tourer
Received 314 Likes on 88 Posts

Don't forget the Cherohala Skyway, which for big touring bikes is MUCH better than either the Snake or the Dragon (ridden all three many times). Corners are smoother, speeds are higher and there are no Rossi-wanabees on it.

In Tellico Plains, there's a bakery a block off the main road that always has a line out the door and they sell a ridiculously priced $ 5 Apple Turnover that's worth every penny.

Cherahola Skyway

The following users liked this post:
TKDKurt (04-08-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 03:32 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Received 213 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by highwayking
Got a two-day ride planned for next week from Charlotte, NC to Bristol, TN/VA then back. On the way back we're riding the section of Hwy 421 known as The Snake. I've ridden the Tail of the Dragon, but never ridden the Snake. I know that the Snake is longer (33 miles vs. 11 miles) and has a few more curves, but I'm interested in the impressions of those who have ridden both and how do they compare?
I'll make it real easy for you.
snake hands down. The 4 guys and I are all over nc va tn sc ...
the dragon is dangerous foe many reasons .. and I never get out of seconds. DO NOT be distracted by the picture takers.

the snake is tight in spots but more on the sweeper side and not as much traveled.

if you decide on the dragon hit moonshiner 28 ... another must do.

​​​​​​​ps the snake and or dragon is a day ride for us.
​​​​​​​

Last edited by sumncguy; 04-08-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:52 PM
bufbills
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Don't forget the Cherohala Skyway, which for big touring bikes is MUCH better than either the Snake or the Dragon (ridden all three many times). Corners are smoother, speeds are higher and there are no Rossi-wanabees on it.

In Tellico Plains, there's a bakery a block off the main road that always has a line out the door and they sell a ridiculously priced $ 5 Apple Turnover that's worth every penny.

Cherahola Skyway
This pic is one of my favorite spots in the smokies!!

Old 04-08-2017, 07:27 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
I'm riding that next week for the first time. Looking forward to it. Also re-riding the Tail of the Dragon (have a new guy riding with us that wants to do it.) In my view the Tail is a been there, done that, got the t-shirt sort of thing. Moonshiner 28 is prettier. We are also riding the Cherohala Skyway this time, so also looking forward to that.
Out of Robinsville, or Hwy 28 out of Deals Gap. Make it point to Run Wayahla Rd out of Franklin NC Hwy 64.

Quick Reply: Dragon vs. Snake