Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broken shifter

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 09:11 PM
VINNIE JAMES
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default broken shifter

went to down shift and the toe shifter went down to the floor board. it lifts back up to the stock position but wont stay. tried to tighten the bolt and it wont turn? the heal shifter is fine. unbolted it and it came right off. can not get the toe shifter off.
anyone have this problem? any sugestions? thanks, vinnie

Old 05-31-2010, 09:37 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

After taking the bolt out of the toe shiter, try to spread the shifter open with a large flat tipped screwdriver. Should come off easily.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:46 PM
VINNIE JAMES
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can not turn the bolt in the toe shifter? it wont move either way? also not sure if the shifter is striped or the shaft???? i really not sure what happened? its been fine. i ride every day that i can

Old 05-31-2010, 09:59 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just an idea, the bolt may be jammed against the splines on the shaft. Try wiggling it (shifter) back and forth to see if it comes loose so You can take the bolt out

Old 05-31-2010, 10:00 PM
jamesw
Road Warrior
Received 686 Likes on 260 Posts

The shifter is much softer that the shaft, so it should strip first. Are you using a good allen key socket in a ratchet? Just an allen key by hand might be hard. I would suggest removing the bolt, then running a tap thru the shifter, then a new allen in stainless with a little blue loctite.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:58 AM
paguy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never seize. Put on bolt, tighten, then check shifter is at right height, then tighten real good. The never seize allows the bolt to seat snugg.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:54 AM
Eddy G
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

I've seen the shifters loosen up just enough to vibrate and wear the spindle down to a nub. It can happen over a short period of time or even pretty quickly.

The vibration may have damaged the threads in the bolt, nut, the spline, the shifter or any where in between. Its hard to say without seeing it.

Most importantly is the spline. The rest you can fix in garage easy enough. Without seeing in
I'd suggest cutting the shifter bolt.
Use a dremel tool with a cutting wheel. It will fit between the split in the shifter.
Spread the shifter with a large flat head screwdriver or wide blade cold chisel.

As long as the spline is OK, go and get yourself a new shifter. Clean and lubricate everything. I use stainless hardware (from any true value hardware store) and use a lock washer.

Good Luck