Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaky exhaust rubber grommets!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 07:44 AM
kjkustoms
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry Squeaky exhaust rubber grommets!!

I recently purchased a set of V&H monster oval slip ons, when I installed them I figured that I would put new rubber grommets in the hangers just because. After about 500 miles I noticed a squeaking sound coming from under the bags. After investagation I notice the rubber grommets are now loose around the metal hanger bar. When I installed these pipes the grommet was new and they were quite tight during installation. Now they're loose and making a lot of annoying sound. I have tried silicone lube, but that only lasts about a day. Anyone else have this problem? Any fix? Trick? It's starting to drive me crazy!!

Old 06-25-2010, 08:41 AM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Can they be tightened up some?

Old 06-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Seminolebagger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WD-40 works for me.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:55 AM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm thinking nothing should be moving to be able to squeek....
I just had a clamp replaced because my left pipe was able to rock when you twisted it which meant the clamp was loose. I couldnt get the clamp to tighten up to save my life.

They replaced the clamp and pipes tight...no movement now.
Maybe no squeak if no movement?

Old 06-25-2010, 08:57 AM
kjkustoms
Road Captain

You cant tighten anything, once the exhaust strap is slid through the grommet it is bolted to the muffler, there is no adjustment. I tried WD40 and some silicone spray, it only lasts for a day. I need a better fix !

Old 06-25-2010, 09:06 AM
kjkustoms
Road Captain

Gliden, you figure mabey my exhaust clamps may be the problem? I did think about that and I have re-tightend the the nuts a few times, the clamps were new from V&H at the time. Change the clamps again? I'm going out to the shop right now to check the clamp nuts again! Come to think of it, you can move the muffler up and down a little. HMMMM

Old 06-25-2010, 09:10 AM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by kjkustoms
Gliden, you figure mabey my exhaust clamps may be the problem? I did think about that and I have re-tightend the the nuts a few times, the clamps were new from V&H at the time. Change the clamps again? I'm going out to the shop right now to check the clamp nuts again! Come to think of it, you can move the muffler up and down a little. HMMMM

I have Reinharts so keep that in mind....but I'm just mentioning that one of my pipes were loose which was the clamp....I couldnt get the clamp to tighten any more and the pipe was able to be twisted by holding the rear muffler and it squeaked....

They replaced clamp.....everythings tight now and cant move and no squeek....

But like I said that was just my set up....just throwing it out there....

Old 06-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Rock Chalk
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i had the same kind of thing w/ monster ovals. i found the rubber piece had slid all the way out and the noise was metal on metal, it wasn't the rubber. pulled it all apart and put it back together and haven't had a problem since. right side, no issues on the left.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:50 AM
IBHarley
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same noise here tried many rubber lubes was told to replace them but others have and squeak returns hope to hear something new has been tried

Old 06-25-2010, 10:26 AM
Olde Skool
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just posted this on another thread:

"I ended up taking the saddle bag support off and put it in a vise and crushed the steel that holds the rubber thing a little bit. If it in fact is the hanger, try my suggestion. Slightly crush it on the top and bottom AND on the sides. Not too much though! You want it to be tighter, but still allow the flat steel piece to still slide some as it needs to be able to move to absorb movement of the pipe."

I had this same problem with the regular Ovals and the above is what cured my squeak...

Quick Reply: Squeaky exhaust rubber grommets!!