Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Ultra Wobble - Brace ?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Modee1245
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2007 Ultra Wobble - Brace ?????

Guys, I have a 07 Ultra Classic and I am noticing a slite wobble when riding especially on hard curves on the free way. It also feels like my front wobbles when riding.

I have checked my air pressure to ensure that it is correct, and both tires are normally filled to 38 to 40 PSI... I have the Harley Davidson white walls (wide).

Have anyone noticed this on their bikes and if so did you switch to a brace like bagger brace.

What was the difference in the the ride before and after you installed it. Is it worth getting..

Thanks for your input..

Old 07-09-2010, 09:45 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

This topic comes up every week. Check previous threads. Search on 'wobble' or 'brace'....

Try this thread and this one.

Last edited by grbrown; 07-09-2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 07-09-2010, 10:06 AM
UltraPoppy
Cruiser

I have an 07 Ultra that has 35K miles on it. Yes I have experienced the wobble as you describe. I no longer have an issue with the wobble.First : I switched from the D402's that came stock on the bike to the Dunlop E3's. Second: I changed the shocks on the rear to Progressive 412's 412-4019 is the part number for the shocks I used. I put 12.5 inch shocks on in place of the 13 inch stock shocks.
The changing of the tires to Elite 3's made a noticeable difference in reducing the wobble. When I changed the rear shocks that reduced the wobble effect even more.
There was one sweeper curve that the wobble would occur at any speed above 60 mph. I can now go thru that same sweeper curve at 70 mph plus and the bike is steady.
I had looked at the various braces, but didn't want to spend the money. I spent the money on better handling and riding tires and also shocks to make the ride more comfortable. My next project is to now do something with the front end suspension.
David

Old 07-09-2010, 10:43 AM
wingshooter92
Intermediate

i have a 2007 street glide white walls i put on a phieniox customs bagger brace and my bike has no wobble anymore great product and easy to install

Old 07-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
This topic comes up every week. Check previous threads. Search on 'wobble' or 'brace'....

Try this thread
This link was the answer to my "wobble". I took my 07 Ultra in last year and the tech adjusted the neck bearings as they describe in this link. He told me he sets them up tighter than the service manual states and man did it make a difference. I can run no handed at any speed up to 75. Just changed front tires and no difference. I'm amazed that the neck bearing would cause this. I have a sportster that has never been adjusted and it go straight down the road no wobble. Must be a touring bike thing.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:04 AM
TMair
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraPoppy
I have an 07 Ultra that has 35K miles on it. Yes I have experienced the wobble as you describe. I no longer have an issue with the wobble.First : I switched from the D402's that came stock on the bike to the Dunlop E3's. Second: I changed the shocks on the rear to Progressive 412's 412-4019 is the part number for the shocks I used. I put 12.5 inch shocks on in place of the 13 inch stock shocks.
The changing of the tires to Elite 3's made a noticeable difference in reducing the wobble. When I changed the rear shocks that reduced the wobble effect even more.
There was one sweeper curve that the wobble would occur at any speed above 60 mph. I can now go thru that same sweeper curve at 70 mph plus and the bike is steady.
I had looked at the various braces, but didn't want to spend the money. I spent the money on better handling and riding tires and also shocks to make the ride more comfortable. My next project is to now do something with the front end suspension.
David
I have this same set up on my 99 RKC, the E3 did make a huge difference, but I still ordered the Progressive brace, should be here next week, I will let you know if it makes a difference.
Terry

Old 07-17-2010, 01:24 AM
51Moe
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the air in the rear shocks...good air makes a big difference.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:39 AM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Mine's an '08 which has the head stay that the '07 does not have. The head stay helps with the wobble issue a little but after installing the "Bagger Brace", I have noticed a huge handling improvement especially when you hit a bump while going through corners.

Adding tires does not do anything for keeping the transmission centered in the frame which is what the bagger brace does for your bike.
There are other ways to help with this such as nylon bushings in lieu of the stock rubber bushing mounts but for $275 and thirty minutes of your time. The Bagger Brace does what it claims.

Last edited by scj; 07-17-2010 at 06:42 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:17 AM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by scj
Mine's an '08 which has the head stay that the '07 does not have.
The pre-08's have the upper stabilizer as well. It's between the cylinders instead of in front.

Rick

Old 07-17-2010, 08:02 AM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 267 Likes on 166 Posts

Chassis alignment is the first step. If the motor,transmission and swingarm are not in alignment with the frame (which 99% of bikes are not) then the rest are just bandaids. Once everything is in line then the addition of a brace, good tires and good air pressure in the shocks will make the bike will handle well.

Quick Reply: 2007 Ultra Wobble - Brace ?????