Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACC helmets wait that was a different company

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 06:36 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by gwvulcan
Your not convinced because you don't want to be. If you have your heart set on the helmet I will sell you mine for a good price But if you don't want a DOT helmet then why wear a helmet at all. If I am going to have to wear a helmet I would like a little protection, if I could care less about the protection I wouldn't wear a helmet. If I had no choice but to wear a helmet and I wanted to stick it to uncle sam I still wouldn't buy a novelty helmet for $125 (BTW your not really sticking it to uncle sam as he will still get his taxes when you crack your mellon open and are on life support).

And concerning the comment about you haven't read a news article wear somebody split there head open while wearing an ACC helmet: that is because they don't report stupid Sh$t. Have you read a news article that says: Motorcyclist went down riding a 2005 HD sportster while wearing a Aria helmet, levi (size 28 jeans), and rolling stones T-shirt (XL). He didn't split his head open but he was quite fashionable!
You hurt my feelings...NOT....

Testing in a lab is one thing, testing in the real world is another....Besides, who soaks their helmet in water before riding?? I like the helmet, it's my head, I have good insurance and if something happens to me while riding, well at least I went doing something I loved.....

Now go back to reading those DOT reports about hitting helmets with anvils!!!!!

Old 07-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Think about it, ACC sold a lot of helmets in the last 5 years. Have we heard of one incident where a rider wearing a ACC helmet suffered a head injury or died from head injuries due to the helmet not doing its job??

I know I haven't heard anything. I have both their non-DOT and so called "DOT" version. The non-DOT is put away but I will continue to use their "DOT" version since it fits great, it's light weight and it has a DOT sticker on it.

Neither ACC or the DOT contacted me personally and told me the ACC helmets were being recalled or failed the "tests" required by the DOT. If I didn't belong to this forum, I would have never known. I'm sure if ACC would have greased the palms of certain officials, this would be a non-issue.
Nobody is going to contact you personally. Further, claiming you didn't know isn't going to save your *** in court if you find yourself defending against wearing a non-compliant helmet. You apparantly haven't found yourself on the wrong end of the "justice" system.

I have never read a news account of a motorcycle accident where they identified the brand of helmet the rider was wearing, or whether or not it had a DOT certification. They might report if the rider was wearing a helmet or not.

Personally, I couldn't care less whether or not anyone wears a helmet. I only wear one because my state says I have to, or I'll get a nasty fine. Not being made of money, I wear a DOT helmet. I pick them based on two criteria: (1) cheap. preferably less than about 25 bucks. and (2) fits in my saddlebag.

I don't have any notions that my stupid DOT half helmet is going to provide me any kind of substantial protection in the event of an accident. I do know, though, that it's gonna protect my head better than these 175 dollar novelty helmets. If some of you guys want to wear one, though, go for it. It's your noggin, not mine.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:48 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

"Nobody is going to contact you personally. Further, claiming you didn't know isn't going to save your *** in court if you find yourself defending against wearing a non-compliant helmet. You apparantly haven't found yourself on the wrong end of the "justice" system. "

Your right there, I was always on the grip side of the legal handgun......

I have a Daytona 3/4 Helmet that says DOT approved but the inner padding is smaller then the ACC Helmet.Go figure.....

Old 07-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Astro
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you really think that a $25 helmet is going to save your head just because it has a DOT sticker on it and a "novelty helmet" does not???
Hope you never have to test it and prove me right!

Old 07-15-2010, 10:13 AM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 176 Likes on 88 Posts

Seven weeks ago I slammed into the side of a car at about 45 mph, after it turned in front of me. I fractured my hip and pelvis. My right arm and shoulder went through the passenger door widow and my ACC polo helmet hit the top of the door. I was knocked out for a few minutes, but had I not had on the helmet I don't think things would have turned out quite so well. For me the $$ was well worth it. The helmet has two cracks but my head didn't have any.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:29 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Astro
Do you really think that a $25 helmet is going to save your head just because it has a DOT sticker on it and a "novelty helmet" does not???
I believe the helmet was over $100 when I bought it......It is not a plastic novelty helmet by any means.....

Old 07-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Astro

It's not the sticker that makes the difference. It's what's underneath the sticker.

Further, I said I did not think my helmet is gonna offer any substantial protection. I only wear the helmets because the law says I have to. And yes, it's better than a novelty, even a 175 dollar novelty.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:20 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SamStone
Seven weeks ago I slammed into the side of a car at about 45 mph, after it turned in front of me. I fractured my hip and pelvis. My right arm and shoulder went through the passenger door widow and my ACC polo helmet hit the top of the door. I was knocked out for a few minutes, but had I not had on the helmet I don't think things would have turned out quite so well. For me the $$ was well worth it. The helmet has two cracks but my head didn't have any.
That just flys in the face of the argument and will not be discussed here

Old 07-15-2010, 11:50 AM
jasnusc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im tired of people thinking that only DOT Helmets are safe to ride with. Yes they are the "Safest" but other helmets offer plenty of safety and there are huge differences between various Novelty helmets out there.

If you have a "Novelty" helmet made of Carbon Fiber and Kevlar with 3/4 padding inside it will offer a lot of protection in a crash. It will certainly offer way more protection than a typcial novelty helmet which is only made of plastic and a fabric liner.

I have several DOT helmets I have modified to fit my head better by removing 1/8" or 1/4" of foam from the inside and it drives me nuts when people think its no longer safe to wear. Yes it might have reduced the effectiveness in a crash from 100% to 90% but its Not Unsafe.

Just My Opinion.