Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Ultra License Plate Relocation ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Conehead
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 09 Ultra License Plate Relocation ?

Do I have any options on relocating the license plate if I put the detach kit on the tourpak other than replacing the turn signal bar or putting it above the taillight with the one that comes with the kit? I was not wanting to have to buy a rear turn signal bar just so I can mount my license below the tail light and I assume I will have to replace the tail light lens with one that has a window on the bottom side? Sheesh! Can someone help?

Old 08-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Conehead
Road Captain

Bump, Somebody has surely had this problem.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:15 PM
bikehe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Conehead I hope you get an answer to this as I asked the same question here the other day. I just ordered a 4 point detachable kit, sissy bar and backrest but it seems that HD dont make a luggage rack to remount your license plate once you remove the hardmount bracket for the tourpack. Dont mind if I had to drill and mount a factory bracket to the guard above the tail light,but option dosnt seem available.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:35 PM
TMair
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Road King classic, I wanted to mount the plate low so I could attach things like rain gear, or a sleeping bag below the luggage rack but still have it above the tail light, I got a kit that allowed me to put it at the bottom of the fender, removed the plastic fender trim and bolted it on there, I bought some little LED lights from J&P that replaced the top licence plate bracket bolts, I ran the wires up under the fender into the tail light, when I pulled the tail light I found a plug in there with a hot and a ground, I just wired into that, way easy.
There are other options, one I like, and had I known how easy it would have been to run the wires is J&P sell a new fender trim peice with kind of a cool looking light in it, that is also a licence plate bracket, that would light the plate, and mount it belowe the turn signal bar.
Hope this helps
Terry

Old 08-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Conehead
Road Captain

bikehe, I think I may have something that might work: Order a Softbrake part #SB-SSLRP (bracket $40.00) and then replace the lens with a streetglide lens ($50.00)that has the window on the bottom to light the plate.
I would like to hear what some of the others have done to see if there are any other options other than spending a couple of hundred just to move the plate below the taillight??

Old 08-09-2010, 08:00 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Sorry,can't help ya.This is the only solution i could come up with.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:12 AM
bikehe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan where did ya get that license plate mount. Is it part of the indicator chromed bar? It appears to have the number plate light as well. Looked in the harley 2010 catalogue and cant find anything that matches what you have. Cone head I ordered the license plate mount from harley shop today as it was under $30, but its for placing the plate under the tail light. I'm hoping when it arrives I can bend/modify it to put it above the tail light. Will let you know how it goes when it arrives hopefully next week. I'll keep looking

Old 08-10-2010, 12:29 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Here is what I did and don't call me surely. J&P cycles part number 3400012 mount $49.99, and also in J&P is the Radiantz plate frame which is lit with LEDs part number 340-460 $29.99. I got the Harley dealer to give me an inspection sticker mount but they are only a couple of dollars is J&P's catalouge. I know the picture is rather poor, but it will give you an idea of the plate lighting. The white down tail light lens didn't work because the turn signal bar covers the area.

Attached Thumbnails 09 Ultra License Plate Relocation ?-dscf0004.jpg  

Last edited by harleyflyboy; 08-10-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:28 AM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Conehead,
It appears this kit has a new license plate holder included. I would think that your parts guy could cross reference the license plate holder thats in this kit and just order it for ya.

Detachable Tour-Pak® Rack for Electra Glide® - '09-Later Models

Transform your Electra Glide® model for around town cruising. This kit includes everything needed to convert the rigid-mount Tour-Pak® to an easy on-and-off detachable version. Complete kit includes two-up docking hardware kit, Detachable Two-Up Tour-Pak® Rack, chrome strut covers, chrome license plate holder, reflector, and AM/FM antenna relocation hardware.

53246-09A

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Fits '09-later FLHTC, FLHTCU, FLHTK and FLTRU models. FLHTCU, FLHTK and FLTRU models require separate purchase of Tour-Pak® Quick Disconnect Harness for Ultra Models P/N 70032-09.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:18 AM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a '09 Road Glide. I didn't like the small Bullet turn signals in the rear. I love the full Turn signal bar but I didn't want to spend the bucks to buy the bar that has the license light under it . Plus the one used on the Road King is shorter than the Electra Glide/Ultra and had that Bump to use the lights. (UGLY) Harley still has the License plate under the Tour Pak and above the tail light on those too.

Name:  2009RoadGlideLicenseMount.jpg
Views: 3326
Size:  11.9 KB Name:  2009RoadGlide5093.jpg
Views: 2886
Size:  32.4 KB
Taken right after I mounted it............Taken in July 2010...........

So what I did was to make my own License Plate holder that mounted to the bolts for the Turn Signal bar, (and I already had a bar in my garage) to kept the plate below the bar. I didn't have the light any more. So I bought the Kuryakyn LED bolts and put them in the two top license bolt holes. This gave the License plate the light required by Law but looked good.

If you can't or doesn't want to make your own, here is a link to someone that makes a chrome one. They also have the License plate frame that has the light already installed, if you don't want to use the LED bolts.

https://www.softbrake.com/shop/shop_detail.asp?Product_id=158

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 08-10-2010 at 02:27 AM.

Quick Reply: 09 Ultra License Plate Relocation ?