Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Ultra Batwing alignment

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 09:38 PM
MadScot
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scorpion07
If it's just the handlebars, turn the bars full lock the oposite direction of the twist and give em a tug (or push). They're rubber mounted. You'd be surprised how far they can be moved.
If it's the fairing inner and the bars (I know that's what you wrote...) - just loosen the lower tripple tree bolts, straighten her back up and re-tighten.
Thanks. It's the inner fairing and bars. That's the info I was looking for and will probably do it on my own. I was worried that it might throw the alignment off.
I'm reasonably sure it happened when the PO had the front end lowered and had chrome lowers installed.
The dealer thinks it's all in my head. But I know that I've been delusional for years.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:42 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Mine is the same, and I always think it's the upper fork skins that are out of wack. But since the bike tracks like it's on rails, I stopped worrying about it 10,000 mile ago.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:46 PM
flhrbill
Club Member
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

WOW, I thought I was crazy. I told my dealership the same thing and their response was the same as yours. "Nothing wrong with it" I have an 09 FLHTC and it rides true and straight but I know the fairing is leaning down toward the right. All I have to do is look at the radio while I am driving straight and it is very noticeable. Having said all that, I have over 20,000 miles on her and I've learned to live with it. As long as the bike is riding straigt and true I know it's balanced.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:33 PM
cooper57M
Tourer

my SG fairing /handlebar alignment seems to be the right a little too.It rides straight and the tire is wearing even, im not concerned anymore. Different bike though, the last two softtails i owned did the same.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There really isn't any "tracking" adjustment in a motorcycle front wheel. It goes where it goes.
For proper function however, the triple trees (upper and lower), fender or brace, and front axle should follow the same plane relative to each other. If not the forks could bind along their stroke.
Most forks today are fool proof in there assembly. Some tweaking as I stated earlier can be had though.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:17 PM
MadScot
Cruiser

I tried the loosen the lower tree clamps trick and it worked. Now I'm working on getting it "just right". No problem with tracking etc. I now know I can get it better than the dealer. Especially if they "couldn't see it" before. Thanks for the input folks.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:15 PM
fathertime
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 08 flht has been that way since new..,tracks tru as can be but if you look at the bars and fairing they are about a 1/2 inch cocked to the rt...it used to bug me but i guess i just got used to it...DAMN! now i will have to try and adjust it...dealer said they get lots in for same issue..someone at h/d set-up needs glasses..lol

Old 07-11-2011, 01:07 PM
rtbuck89
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 138 Posts

I realize this is an old thread but my 08 FLHTC has always had the same "problem." When I look down at my radio the fairing seems cocked to the right. The bike tracks perfectly when I take my hands off the handlebars so Im not too concerned about it. However, I was thinking that maybe the ignition switch turned to the right gives an optical illusion of the fairing being cocked to the right.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:34 PM
MadScot
Cruiser

I doubt it's an optical illusion. It took quite some trial and error to get mine straight. I've just determined that some people can see it, some can't and some don't care. Then there's those of us that it bugs the crap out of ya!

Old 07-11-2011, 05:31 PM
rtbuck89
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 138 Posts

MadScot,
Did you just loosen the pinch bolts on each side of the lower triple tree? No need to remove the fairing or anything right?

Quick Reply: 07 Ultra Batwing alignment