Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103" lifter (?) noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 10:40 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock 2011. It does it and it is normal. So did my 09 96", just didn't have lowers, so it wasn't as loud. With the an Ultra all the fairings are reflecting the noise back to the rider and additionally there is less air noise, so you hear it. Plus, you are sitting right on top of it, and maybe the 103 harmonics are increasing it a little bit... When I wear a 3/4 helmet, I don't even hear it. Now the tranny is certainly quieter in 5th then 09 since the MoCo went to helical 5th gear...

I will be adding complete exhaust and a tune next weekend. I don't expect it to change vavle train noise, but at least refocus what I am listening to.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

My 103 is no noisier than any 96 that I've ridden. In the summer, I run 50w dino oil, which seems much quieter than the 20w50 synthetic I use in the fall and spring.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Minglewood
Advanced

My '09 96 RG is noisy up top (17k miles). Have lowers and stock pipes. Rides great, though.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:09 AM
tbrocco
Cruiser

I have the same noise and it bothered me a lot because one set of lifters failed - rare but it happens - and trashed the engine. HD completeley covered it, and gave me a loner for the last week of repair. When I heard the tapping again I freaked. Two mechanics rode it and said essentially what everybody here is saying. The bike runs great, but you have to learn to live with that tapping. Last year I had loud pipes, so it wasn't noticeable. This year I have nightsticks. I must say, that I had doubts until I read all the comments here. C'est la vie!!

Old 09-16-2010, 11:17 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master

My 2010 Street Glide had some valve train noise when it was 96 inches, especially once it was warmed up. When they did the stage II 103 kit they also installed the Baisley LMR oil pump spring. Now the valve train is considerably quieter than before the build. Same oil used before and after the mod to 103.

One other observation, I tend to note more engine noise in general on the Street Glide than I do on my Street Bob. As already noted in the thread, it is not uncommon to detect more noise on a bagger due to the fairing / lowers making the noise more noticeable. I don't detect much noise at all on the Street Bob even though the exhaust on it are quieter than the Street Glide.

Last edited by Inspector 12; 09-16-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:21 AM
hotpursuit
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1mg2hd
I have a 2011 103 inch Road Glide that develops a noticeable loud valve train noise between 2200 and 2600 rpm. It does not do it above or below that range. When I took the bike in for it's 1000 mile check, the dealer thought it may be because the automatic chain tensioner was about to ratchet or it would come out of it with more miles on the bike (typical answer?). It doesn't matter what gear it is in, if the engine is hot or cold, under load or not, acellerating or de-acellerating. it is really annoying to have it in that rpm range. My 03 Dyna was much quieter. Has anyone else had this problem or any ideas?
I know this may sound crazy but with a fairing up front you tend to hear more of the valve train then you do on a non fairing bike... Sound deflects off the fairing and you don't have nearly the wind noise on it..... The rpm range your hearing it is typical range of where you hear the noise. In the future if you decide to do a cam swap, definitely consider the fact some cams are very very noisy, while others are tolerable....

Old 10-16-2010, 06:44 PM
hdal711
Novice

I have the same problem you have, Valve noise at 2200 to 2600 rpm, Only when the Glide is warmed up tho. When the bike is cold no problem cause it;s gettin more fuel. My Dealer said their burning leaner,cause of EPA. ya ok! My 09 Ultra that i traded in had no noise at all.. no cat in the exhaust, so you think it ran cooler? maybe. I changed the Header pipe Jackpot 2-1-2 with rinehart slipons, The bike is cooler with no cat,and breathes better, Still valve clatter,prob leaned it out more. So my dealer called Harley while i was at the shop.. And said the 2011 103'' motors will have a download sometime in Nov, to correct the problem more Fuel, at { NO CHARGE }. It pays to speak up, Alzie 2011 Road Glide Ultra.Vivid Black 4500 K Ride Safe !!!!!!!!

Old 10-16-2010, 07:36 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hdal711
I have the same problem you have, Valve noise at 2200 to 2600 rpm, Only when the Glide is warmed up tho. When the bike is cold no problem cause it;s gettin more fuel. My Dealer said their burning leaner,cause of EPA. ya ok! My 09 Ultra that i traded in had no noise at all.. no cat in the exhaust, so you think it ran cooler? maybe. I changed the Header pipe Jackpot 2-1-2 with rinehart slipons, The bike is cooler with no cat,and breathes better, Still valve clatter,prob leaned it out more. So my dealer called Harley while i was at the shop.. And said the 2011 103'' motors will have a download sometime in Nov, to correct the problem more Fuel, at { NO CHARGE }. It pays to speak up, Alzie 2011 Road Glide Ultra.Vivid Black 4500 K Ride Safe !!!!!!!!
More fuel when cold is not what causes it to be quieter. The thicker cold oil is what causes it to be quieter...

Old 10-16-2010, 07:43 PM
FDHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 123 Posts

My 103" RKC is quiet as a mouse. Even better sounding than my previous TC88B.
It's my tranny that makes noise at idle. Damn "Neutral Rollover" also considered "normal".
Extended warranty and ride the crap out of it.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:57 PM
Spurrs
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Fcal124
My 103" RKC is quiet as a mouse. Even better sounding than my previous TC88B.
What he said ^

Only have 500 miles on my 2011 Limited, but the quietest HD top end I've ever ridden. Some make noise . . . some don't. Beats the heck out of me why.

Quick Reply: 103" lifter (?) noise