Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission noise - knocking sound

Old 05-17-2012, 08:04 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine does it, I actually complained about it going down the Interstate and the tech found it at idle. He said the only thing you can do is rebuild the transmission and he said it won't hurt anything, ride it until it breaks. That was 17,000 miles ago.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:20 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 623 Likes on 453 Posts

I wonder if the primary chain is a bit slack and as the slack is taken up and then released it slams the transmission from drive to coast and back again. What you hear is coming from the transmission but caused by the primary-just a wild guess.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:34 AM
jeffRKMC
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neutral rattle

I understand a "neutral rattle" but when you are riding , this so called rattle shouldn't be noticible.. It goes away , mostly, after the drive train is hot.. It does it under load and appears not to be lifters since I can sit in the driveway and rev the motor and there is no valve noise.. It is a KNOCK and is noticible and loud at 2500 up to 3000 rpm.. I guess two more times into the dealer and the lemon law kicks in !!!!!!

Old 05-18-2012, 07:00 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Take it to another dealer.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:44 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by g money
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...al-rattle.html

It is normal and has been discussed here at length. Click on the above.
Yep. Trying different fluids changes the noise somewhat, but it's normal. It's a v-twin that isn't smooth, you can't expect it to sound like a Honda.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:56 AM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,500 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffRKMC
I understand a "neutral rattle" but when you are riding , this so called rattle shouldn't be noticible.. It goes away , mostly, after the drive train is hot.. It does it under load and appears not to be lifters since I can sit in the driveway and rev the motor and there is no valve noise.. It is a KNOCK and is noticible and loud at 2500 up to 3000 rpm.. I guess two more times into the dealer and the lemon law kicks in !!!!!!

Lemon Law requires that there is actually something broke that they cant fix.

Also....when you dredge up an old thread your issues get confused with the original post

Old 05-18-2012, 08:03 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffRKMC
That was my complaint. It still does it good and hot. If you dig around there are a lot of guys that complain about this. The only thing I can tell you is it has not broken in a lot of miles for me. Under load load it kind of sounds like a wood mallet is hitting the clutch cover. I now just consider it the nature of the beast. These Harleys make a lot of strange noises. Most of them mean exactly nothing.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:27 AM
jeffRKMC
Intermediate
Default Transmission noise

Here's what the Harley rep said who took it for a ride.. Harleys are not custom bikes but production bikes and the tolerances aren't like a custom ! Ride it !!... Now that is what the factory rep is told to tell us.. Sounds like crap to me !!!!!

Old 06-02-2012, 12:06 PM
jeffRKMC
Intermediate

Been thru a lemon law suit with Ford and beat them on dash rattles.. this is no difference.. Just gotta start the ball rolling to get their attention and find out what the problem is instead of everyone complaining...

Old 06-09-2016, 02:28 PM
gprosperie
Stage I

Originally Posted by davessworks
I took my bike in to the dealer today and one of their techs took a look at it. They heard what I've heard for some time now - a knocking sound coming from in the transmission.

The tech suggested I not worry about it - "it's the shifter dogs knocking while the bike's in neutral"

Anyone ever hear of this before? I've been riding Harley's for 20 years and never heard this noise before. Good news - I still have 14 months of warranty left but . . .
I have had the same problem, I had a second opinion and I was told to put a heavier oil in the transmission, done that today, ran bike till it got hot, seems to quiet n it up some, but sometimes there is a knocking sound when you throttle up or down, that comes from the design of the back wheel. There is a rubber gear in the back rim. Still don't like any noise coming from anywheres except my pipes. Was told it has become a normal screw up

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission noise - knocking sound