Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fishtails on a Road King

Old 09-06-2010, 07:45 PM
flyer91
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'Please' repost the video after the mods, and I agree with SeniorChief56 ......... your scoot is really nice!!

Also FWIW: I think you do already have the classic bag guards installed with their rear mount as the last thing before the nuts go on, but if not ...... that can help to get them to mount level.

If you do have them mounted that way already ..... then adding a spacer (like thick washers) to move the guard's rear mounting farther forward (and using longer bolts) will do it.

It doesn't take much forward movement of the guard's rear mount to allow their front mount to go up higher on the crash bar, and make it all level.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:49 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flyer91
'Please' repost the video after the mods, and I agree with SeniorChief56 ......... your scoot is really nice!!

Also FWIW: I think you do already have the classic bag guards installed with their rear mount as the last thing before the nuts go on, but if not ...... that can help to get them to mount level.

If you do have them mounted that way already ..... then adding a spacer (like thick washers) to move the guard's rear mounting farther forward (and using longer bolts) will do it.

It doesn't take much forward movement of the guard's rear mount to allow their front mount to go up higher on the crash bar, and make it all level.
I'll have to look into that. It is a bit annoying they don't line up perfect horizontal.

I will post a vid! after that, re-cover seat and maybe a new paint job, but we'll see.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:34 PM
mkpflanzer
Stage I

so funny yet so true

Old 09-07-2010, 03:39 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mkpflanzer
so funny yet so true
What is?

Old 01-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Funnygirl
Road Captain

Update:
So I picked up a set of Samson fishtail slip ons the other day.
I think they're gonna need some baffles.
Does it matter what brand?
Or will any do as long as they're the right dimensions?
My husband is gonna have to drill holes in the pipes anyway.

I have Vance & Hines Ovals on now.
I'd like to keep that sound or improve it.
I don't wanna go any quieter...

Old 01-23-2011, 03:09 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I know you already bought pipes, but I have to say I really like my V&H Fishtail slip ons. They are the 2.5 inch variety and the heat shield (which is the 2.5 inch part) is almost full coverage so you get NO visible blueing. It is what made me go with V&H rather than Samson. Also, I put in the quiet baffles and if I remember right, I had to drill a hole in each pipe for the baffle but it was no big deal and made it sound better and perform better. With the Samson's there is always the possibility of getting blued or yellowing pipes. Maybe not if you are just driving around town from bar to bar, but take a road trip with some high heat like the desert and your mufflers may start changing colors unless you have it set up pretty rich.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:28 PM
Funnygirl
Road Captain

I sort of figured that any unshielded pipe was eventually gonna turn blue.
Blue Job will take care of that.
I got a really great deal on the pipes, I just wanna know what kind of baffles to put in them...

Old 01-23-2011, 04:42 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Funnygirl
I sort of figured that any unshielded pipe was eventually gonna turn blue.
Blue Job will take care of that.
I got a really great deal on the pipes, I just wanna know what kind of baffles to put in them...
If they are the straight pipes, then Samson sell several lengths of baffles. The longer, the quieter, or maybe I should say, less loud as all will still be fairly loud as they are just louvered baffles I believe.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:46 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If the outside diameter matches the inside diameter of the pipe and you're not afraid of drilling a hole in each to secure the baffle, anything works. Baffles are baffles, nothing too special about them. They're just going to get covered in exhaust anyway.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:22 PM
glenalt
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed a set of samsons on my Heritage. They had baffels and looked and sounded great. Even with the baffels they still had a loud sound when throttling up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fishtails on a Road King