Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harleys heat management system

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 11:31 PM
06Heritage
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harleys heat management system

I demoed a 2010 ultra classic today , that may have been a mistake .. THE WIFE LOVED IT !! anyway ... when we got back to the dealer , the salesman asked how we liked it ; I told him the vibration at idle comapred to my softail caught me off gaurd. I know its because my motor is counter balanced , and the ultra is rubber mounted.
He tried to tell me its becuase the rear cylinder shuts off whenver the bike is at idle.
I always thought the rear cyl. shuts off when the bike gets up to a certain temp. " HOT "
So whos right ?

Old 09-05-2010, 11:43 PM
budnlucy
Tourer

I have an 08 and it shuts off when it reaches a certain temp. Although I have mine shut off. Maybe the newer ones are different but I wouldnt think that the rear cylinder would shut down at an idle.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:57 PM
TI06
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

System Function
When engine temperature reaches a pre-determined point, the EITMS will turn off the rear cylinder fuel injector. Idle speed will be maintained, however the rear cylinder will become an “air pump” which will work to cool the engine. EITMS will activate (rear cylinder will turn off) when all of the following conditions are met for approximately 6 seconds.
• Engine temperature is greater than 287° F domestic (165° C international)
• Twist grip opening less than 2.0%
• Vehicle speed under 1 MPH (2 KPH)
• Engine speed under 1200 RPM EITMS will disable (rear cylinder will again fire) if any one of the following occurs:
• Engine temperature falls below 275° F domestic (135° C international)
• Twist grip opening greater than 2.3%
• Vehicle speed exceeds 2 MPH (3 KPH)
• Engine speed exceeds 1350 RPM
• Clutch is released with vehicle in gear When the engine is in EITMS mode you may notice a difference in idle cadence. Additionally there may be a unique exhaust odor. These are both considered to be normal conditions.

NOTE:On earlier models
If customer decides he does not want the EITMS, he may request you to deactivate it. Each motorcycle (as identified with its VIN) is entitled to have EITMS activated and deactivated once without charge. The original version of EITMS calibrations may also be upgraded to the new strategy under warranty as long as the two claims per VIN limit has not already been met. Charges for additional EITMS activations or deactivations will be the customer’s responsibility.

Screamin’ Eagle Stage calibrations are available with active EITMS and without EITMS. Before installing these calibrations on a customer’s vehicle, ensure the customer understands the EITMS and indicates their choice.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:04 AM
06Heritage
Tourer

Thanx for all that info. Tony ; now I've got a screamin headache

Old 09-06-2010, 12:53 AM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at a 2011 RGU on friday,and one of the things we talked about was the EITMS. On the new bikes this can be turned on or off depending on what style of riding you are doing. The tech showed me,twist the throttle forward three times and on the third time hold it till the cruise light in the speedo flashes then let go of the throttle,now the EITMS is turned off,repeat these steps to turn it off again. On my 08' it is either downloaded and it works in "Parade Mode or on auto" OR it is not downloaded in ECM and you just get used to the heat. I was also told by the Service Manager that if they installed it and I did not use it very often it would cause the bike to throw error codes all the time. I am not sure about that truth because I never had it installed.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:16 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

The touring bikes do shake at idle. (and not because the EITMS is shutting off the rear cylinder) It is noticeable, and a very different feel than the counterbalanced motors in the softails.

Few of us mind it very much, and some of us find it pleasant. It reminds me I'm riding a v-twin.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:36 AM
EndOfDays
Advanced

I just bought my 2011 Street Glide, and before I left the lot they turned on "parade mode" as they put it. They said if the bike starts to overheat the rear cylinder would shut off and pump out the heat. I've ridden my bike in 90*+ weather and have yet to have any problems with overheating. My previous bike, a 2007 Yamaha R1, would overheat constantly, anytime I would ride in the city during the day time.

The vibrations at idle let me know I'm riding a Harley. The vibrations smooth out as soon as you start moving. I think the vibrations are barely noticeable as it is tho.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:36 AM
EndOfDays
Advanced

For some reason my Droid X keeps double posting. Sorry.

Last edited by EndOfDays; 09-06-2010 at 02:39 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:53 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Tony shared it. Mine activates at idle fairly often in city riding, even when it's not that hot out. It got into deactivation a bit yesterday after a long ride, and it was less than 70F out.

It was not enabled on my bike from the factory. You can force it to shut the rear cylinder off if conditions aren't met with it running, but for it to automatically work you have to enable it with the engine off.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:12 AM
JUICEDSS
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Here in Buffalo of all places mine activates at pretty much every stop light. It's been one hot summer!

Quick Reply: Harleys heat management system