Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thundermax Zipper or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 04:31 PM
BrianABE
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thundermax Zipper or something else?

First post here so let me apologize if this has been asked before. I'm on my fifth Harley and before this new one I really didn't change much beside pipes and air filter.
Recently I purchased a 2011 Ultra Limted (all black) and as soon as I got her home I installed Rineharts extreme true duals (black) and a Screamin' Eagle air kit, I think its called ventilator.
I know shes running lean and probably breathing fire. Both my local HD dealers have told me the same thing, 'the simple download here will not fix it properly, that you need auto tuner or the Screamin' eagle turner with dyno time'.

So... With the SE tuner if I ever change something else I will need more dyno time but with the zipper system I won't.
Is this Zipper system good or do you recommend something else? Btw, zipper system isn't available yet for 2011 but soon will be. We have a 4 day trip planned up the blue ridge parkway September 31 thru October 3. Do I go with the SE kit or wait on the Zipper system? Ive heard the zipper sytemnis better than PC-v w/ auto tuner so I have put that system into the equation.

Thanks for any help you guys/gals can offer!

Last edited by BrianABE; 09-12-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:52 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome & congrats on the new scoot!

The best system is the one that is already on your bike.

All you need is an "interface" that allows you to tune it, like the S/E Super Tuner or a TTS. If you do nothing but intake & exhaust, there are MAPs included with both that you can use.

The TTS has a feature called V-Tune that allows you to tune it on the road.

In the end, the "best tune" comes from a dyno ~ regardless of system (including TMax & PCV). The notion of "auto-tune" is a joke and nothing more than a marketing ploy.

Use the sophisticated system that Harley gave you.

Have a look at the TTS here: http://mastertune.net/

Old 09-12-2010, 05:12 PM
BrianABE
Advanced

So the TTS system is a tuner with maps they have already made for you?

Old 09-12-2010, 06:26 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

Yes. It's very similar to the S/E version ~ the SEST.

Both of these are "interfaces" that reprogram the computer that your new bike came with; no addon crap that tries to "trick" the computer or dumb it down with O2 eliminators or the like.

The TTS has some additional features, as compared to the SEST, but both accomplish the exact same thing.

Go to this site: http://www.mastertune.net/files/calibrations.asp , then expand the tree on the right, go to manuals, then open the called "MastertuneCalFileListing.pdf". It will give you an idea of the MAPS that are currently shipping with it and they are constantly adding new MAPs via online update feature within the software.

While you're at it, have a look at the tuning guide too....

Last edited by PhilM; 09-12-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:01 PM
BrianABE
Advanced

Looked at their site and didn't see a setup for my current bikes exhaust and cleaner, so I've emailed them to inquire if they do. Thanks a ton for your help, Phil. I will keep you posted.

I rather have a system like this or zippers instead of one of our local HD guys doing a dyno. I don't have a 1000 miles on her yet so they will turn me away I was told, and I cant ride it since all the changes in fear of causing motor problems. Double edge sword I guess.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:10 PM
SteveO
Road Master

Go with the TTS you won't be sorry.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:48 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

I wouldn't have a problem recommending the T-Max at all, especially for a near stock bike. I've been using mine for 30,000 miles and whenever I've changed anything I just select the closest base map and let the T-Max do it's thing. THAT SAID....if T-Max isn't available for your 2011 bike yet, and you choose to wait, be prepared for a LONG wait. It took Zippers a couple of YEARS to finally come out with T-Max for the '08 TBW bikes.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:49 AM
BrianABE
Advanced

Cool, thanks Stro ansd Steveo

Old 09-13-2010, 09:20 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the T-max and I'm not real crazy about it . I'd honestly say go with the TTS or PC V . If you are not going to do anything else to the motor....I'd have no problem with the download . My cousin is running an '04 Road King with the stage I download it runs like a champ . I know there is a significant difference between the 2011 , and 2004 , but if you're just running the simple stage I , I think you'd be satisfied . Also , I know some guys are running the DFO from rev tech on their 2009 , and 2010 models , with GREAT success . I think they make a pretty decent product , from what I have seen . They may be worth a try . Some/most will say they aren't worth it , but if they work....

Old 09-13-2010, 09:39 AM
Ultra Street Jewell
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happy with the TMS and the power duals on my Ultra. Maybe a louder pipe and I would be totally happy.

Quick Reply: Thundermax Zipper or something else?