Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power commander question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 01:13 AM
Quickie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power commander question

I just got off the web page for fuelmotousa trying to decide on wheather or not to order a power commander. I am under the impression that they will pre-program the power commander by just knowing what mods I have had done to the bike. Does this mean that I do not have to get the bike dynoed to have it dialed in after I install the powercommander? Does this product really work? I have the stage one, with slip ons and a k&n. The bike runs good except slow speed surging and alot of decel popping. My stealer wants 1000 bucks for a race tuner and dyno time and my local dyno guy wants 400 for the powercommander and 400 for dyno time. My question is will the powercommander work with the fuelmoto program that it comes with or will I still have to spend the 400 on dyno time after? Please help............

Old 09-15-2006, 01:35 AM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 850 Likes on 412 Posts
Default RE: power commander question

The Power Commander is a good deal and works very well. You can use the map that the vendor provides or used one of the canned maps from the Dynojet website; you can also make you own adjustments to each map based upon mileage, decel popping, spark plug color, and other indicators. Don't be afraid to fiddle with it. If you want to get it perfect, a dyno is necessary, but I absolutely don't believe it's required just for street riding. I've never had one dyno'd, and I've always had pretty good success tweaking it myself.

Uncle Peepers

P.S. $400 sounds high; you should be able to find one much cheaper on the internet.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:37 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, it REALLY works!

Jamie is really good at getting a map installed on them that is good for the specified configuration. You shouldn't have to get it dyno tuned ~ espically with that mild config. You'll be good-to-go!

Old 09-15-2006, 02:29 AM
luvmyflhtcui
Road Captain

The power commander III USB is a great tuning tool. It allows you to install the INITIAL map for your configuration and then it's recommended that you have your bike dynotuned to get the most out of your upgrades.

I bought my PCIII from mandmcycles.com and got a great price. I have the SE Stage I breather with the upgraded thicker K&N filter kit, the Vance and Hines True Duals and the Vance and hines Aval slip- ons.

I had my bike dyno tuned about a month ago and it's not that expensive. It's came out to $260 with the upgraded filter kit. They tuned me to 71 hp and 75 ft lbs of torque.

I can feel the difference and I am still checking the software load for duel mileage.

Old 09-15-2006, 04:03 AM
fishafly
Road Master

I bought my PCIII from Jamie at FuelMoto with a map installed. I just got into Vegas for bike fest![sm=icon_rock.gif] and after a 300+ day my bike performed flawlessly! I have no decel popping and I am getting around 45 MPG. All I have is a Ness Big sucker and Rinehart TD's.. It is so worth it! I only had a stage 1 DL on my last ride and the PC far out performs it....

Old 09-15-2006, 04:05 AM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Glad you posted this, Quickie!!! I was wondering the same exact thing. I've got an '05 FLHRCI with Thunderheader slips ons and the HD download with a K&N filter. There is an indy here in town that is a master with the power commander and for $800 installed he will dyno it to your particular needs and driving habits. This price includes the PCIII as well as many, many pulls on the dyno to dial it in. I'm just wondering how close the map that fuelmotousa does as compared to the dyno tuned route.

Order from fuelmoto with their config, install myself and it's around $300 or so. If I go the other route, I'm sure it will perform a little better after being on the dyno, but will it be $550 better?

Not hijacking thread, just wondering the exact same thing. Anyone running Quikie and my bike setups with the fuelmoto PCIII please post your experiences.

Old 09-15-2006, 07:36 AM
99igor
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont want to butt in here but there is another item that might serve you better. Check out the Terry components terminal velocity unit.I will self adjust to changed on your bike and not requre you to spend 2 to 300 dollars for tuning.
Terminal velocity

Old 09-15-2006, 07:47 AM
2006streetglide
Road Captain

I purchased a PCIII from http://fuelmoto.com as well and had Jamie install a map for my config. My SG ran great, no decel popping, coughing, sputtering no adverse effects whatsoever. However, I wanted to get my SG on a dyno and make sure the A/F was correct through my useable RPM range.

Lo and behold I encountered a "lean" condition 18:1 plus at WOT around 3400 - 5100 RPM. Given the fact that more than likely I will not see WOT (atleast I don't think I WILL) too often I opted to have them (dyno techs) adjust my fuel curve for a more conservative map (ie; more fuel - less air ) for tyical riding habits rather than for a leaner condition to net higher hp/tq gains.

In the end I spent 2 hours on the dyno and $140.00 but what I got out of it was a very reliable map that netted me an A/F ratio is 13:4 - 13:6 across the useable RPM range. I lost a bit of hp/tq but I have piece of mind not that detonation is and will be a non issues now.

With that being said, I think the maps loaded by Fuelmoto are proven and are optimized for a specific bike but not yours or mine. Can it be a plug-n-play for you? Yes - but for $140.00 I have piece of mind now knowing that my motor is getting the right amount of fuel for all my driving conditions.

As a suggestion, try and find a shop who might offer a deal on one or two pulls on their dyno (ie; an open house) or get a buddy and see if they will discount you guys for several bikes and have them strap them onto the rollers and spin it to see what your map looks like (cheap insurance in my mind). At that point it is up to you to stay with what you have or opt for more of a performance tune or for reliabilty; it's your bike your call.

For the record, Jamie and the crew at http://fuelmoto.com are teriffic to deal with. Jamie helped me out on a few issues and I recommend them because of their pricing, support, quick to ship, extended warranty etc....

If you want the PCIII (which I DO recommend you get) call Jamie and order it up and don't think of buying elsewhere. You'll be very happy w/ what you get for your $$$$ I can attest to that along with others from this forum I'm sure.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:20 AM
bountyhunter
Banned

PCIII and precise dyno tune, for optimum performance and fuel economy. Get the most out of your ride and mods. I am thoroughly satisfied with the results and enhanced rideability!

Old 09-16-2006, 04:36 AM
sligarn5
Cruiser

My two cents: I bought a PCIII USB from a guy on ebay (I can't remember the name right now, but he sells a lot of them) for $265.00. Installed myself onto my '04 King with stock headers, Wild Pig slip-ons and whole lot of nothing else. I used a canned map from Dynojet and am very happy with it. I get a little pop on decel, but it is not really noticable, so I am not too concerned. Would I like to get it dynoed? Sure, but it is not at the top of my list. I have noticed a definite increase in horsepower just by adding it. I was thinking about upgrading to a stage one kit, but decided against it as I have yet to top the bike out, and I do not plan on it...so why do I need it to go faster?

Anyway, if you've got the money for the dyno burning a hole in your pocket, or if you just really think it would be cool to see it done (which it is), go for it. But if you are just going to be riding like a normal person and want to save the money for something else (like flowers for your significant other when they find out you spent so much on something so small), don't worry about the dyno tune. Grab a lap top and jack into the unit while it is on the bike...have a little fun.

That being said, be sure to add 15-20% to the "0" throttle position from about 1500-4000 rpm.

Quick Reply: power commander question