Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced Tach / ABS light 'on'

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 09:04 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replaced Tach / ABS light 'on'

I'm in the process of changing out the black OEM gauges to the silver-faced gauges. My bike is an '0-10 Ultra and I was told that these silver-faced gauges came off a '09 Street Glide, so I thought everything would match up. My bike does NOT have ABS but it does show 'ABS' symbol on the OEM tach, though it never actually lit up, of course. The silver-faced tach though now lights up the 'ABS' light when I fire up the engine and doesn't turn off.

Anyone change out their gauges and have this problem? Is their in fact a specific tach for non-ABS and a different one for ABS bikes? Or does something need to be reset after changing out the tach?

Thank you!

EDIT: Plugged the black OEM tach back in and the ABS light does not cycle on or stay on after starting the motor. Silver-faced tach cycles the ABS light and then it stays on.

Black OEM tach: part number 67348-04D
Silver-faced tach: part number 67459-04C

Last edited by UltraClassicElectraGlide; 10-24-2010 at 02:30 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Buzzsaw
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this happen when I put an 08 tach with the ABS light in an 07 bike. The only way I found to fix it was to get the 07 tach. I would guess there should be someway to correct it since the parts catalog is showing the same part number for all 08 and after bikes.. Don't know if the dealer needs to flash the computer for you or not?

I know when I finally collected the correct guages it was plug and play on my 07..

Old 10-24-2010, 01:54 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
I had this happen when I put an 08 tach with the ABS light in an 07 bike. The only way I found to fix it was to get the 07 tach. I would guess there should be someway to correct it since the parts catalog is showing the same part number for all 08 and after bikes.. Don't know if the dealer needs to flash the computer for you or not?

I know when I finally collected the correct guages it was plug and play on my 07..
Thanks, Buzzsaw;

From an old post in another forum, it was suggested to disconnect the battery for a period of time and then the tach would re-flash it's self to a non-ABS tach. I tried disconnecting the negative terminal off the battery for an hour and 45 minutes, but nothing 'reset' itself. In fact, I notice that the radio did not even lose the time or stations. Does the positive terminal need to be disconnected too? (With just the negative disconnected, everything on the bike did go dead, but I would think the radio would have lost all in memory.)

Any further ideas from anyone?

Thank you,

Old 10-24-2010, 02:26 PM
fathertime
Road Master

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
I'm in the process of changing out the black OEM gauges to the silver-faced gauges. My bike is an '0-10 Ultra and I was told that these silver-faced gauges came off a '09 Street Glide, so I thought everything would match up. My bike does NOT have ABS but it does show 'ABS' symbol on the OEM tach, though it never actually lit up, of course. The silver-faced tach though now lights up the 'ABS' light when I fire up the engine and doesn't turn off.

Anyone change out their gauges and have this problem? Is their in fact a specific tach for non-ABS and a different one for ABS bikes? Or does something need to be reset after changing out the tach?

Thank you!

EDIT: Plugged the black OEM tach back in and the ABS light does not cycle on or stay on after starting the motor. Silver-faced tach cycles the ABS light and then it stays on.

Black OEM tach: part number 67348-04D
Silver-faced tach: part number 67459-04C
same thing happened to me when i put silver guages from a 09 abs bike on my 08 flht...so far i have just been ignoring it.. but local dealer told me he could turn it off

Old 10-24-2010, 08:25 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by fathertime
same thing happened to me when i put silver guages from a 09 abs bike on my 08 flht...so far i have just been ignoring it.. but local dealer told me he could turn it off
Guess I'll call my dealer Tuesday and see what they can tell me. I've gotten a few suggestions: disconnect the battery for a period of time and then when it 'boots up new', it tells the tach whether or not the bike has ABS. Tried that and no help, but will say that I disconnected the negative terminal, then tried negative and positive terminals and both times the radio did not lose the clock or preset stations, so I'm not sure that the bike really completely powered down. (Though the bike was 'dead', no lights, gauges, etc.) Then I tried to do the same thing by pulling the maxi-fuse only and waiting for a period of time, but same thing: still had clock and radio pre-sets after powering back up. What exactly do I need to do to make the bike power down completely, forcing a real 'boot-up' of the electrical system?

Lastly, I'm told that there are two wiring harnesses, one for ABS models and one without ABS, and the tachometer is the same for both. But when I think about that, I'm not sure how that could be causing the ABS light to come on and stay on, since my bike is non-ABS and has a non-ABS wiring harness, so if they do in fact both use the same tach, I'm not sure how that might be the problem. The black OEM tach works as it should, and I only get the ABS light problem when I connect the silver-faced gauge.

Anyone with any further suggestions?

Further Update: Called two Harley stores, since mine is closed on Mondays... neither dealer was familiar with the problem, neither had any solution of any kind and neither dealer could tell me what error code U1040 is.

Last edited by UltraClassicElectraGlide; 10-25-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:16 PM
vondutchga
Cruiser

same issue here, took it to the dealer they say they can't turn it off. so either get another tach or deal with it.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:02 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by vondutchga
same issue here, took it to the dealer they say they can't turn it off. so either get another tach or deal with it.
Well, it's taken me a long time to come across an answer, but this comes from my local dealer and H-D customer service support.

A brand-new, out of the box speedometer and tachometer will fit either a ABS or non-ABS model bike. (Same part number for both bikes.) That speedometer and tachometer 'learn' when fitted to an ABS model and from then on, will always want to read the ABS sensor. Since my bike is a non-ABS model, the ABS light will always be displayed. There is no way to 'unlearn' or 'flash' the memory to reset it so the ABS light does not illuminate while riding.

If you have a non-ABS bike, you'll have to buy gauges that came from a non-ABS bike, or live with the light illuminated.