Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 10:50 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Thoughts on Winter Storage

The weather is on right now. It's gonna be 83 today. Winter storage, what is that? I feel for all of you.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:18 PM
Shadofaxx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, well at least our roads don't shake and drop out from under us ... oh, wait, we call them potholes ... scratch that, forget I said anything [sm=sigh.gif]

Michigan has its great points but weather isn't one of them. Hope to retire to a year-round riding locale some day soon!

Ride safe!

BTW ... Great lookin' bike!

Old 09-22-2006, 07:29 AM
backnasaddle
Tourer

One other thought. I, too store in an unheated garage. Be sure you use a cover that will breathe. Old bed sheets are great for that. Don't use one of these vinyl or other water resistant covers. They don't breathe well enough (even the "vented" one's) and allow too much condensation to collect. I've tried it both ways. Old sheets still work best. With no climate control, some condensation will form no matter what you do. It's usually best to just leave it alone (hard as that is to do) and give it some TLC in the spring when you fire up. Mine is in the shop right now getting it's 5000 mi. service. The long winter's nap is coming way too soon

Old 09-22-2006, 08:30 AM
tanq
Cruiser

Lots of good info here. Shadowfaxx- I live in northern MN, (Duluth, right on Lake Superior). To enjoy the season you have to get yourself some hobbies so you actually enjoy the white ****. Get a snowmobile, buy some skis, and get out on the frozen waters to do a little jiggin and drinkin-

Old 09-22-2006, 12:13 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Shadofaxx

I've been told to take it out once or twice a month on the nicer days during these bad months, but they salt the he!! out of the roads here and I am not sure that is best ... but I'll listen to all advice!

Thoughts?
Wisconsin resident here. Don't let the temptation to ride your bike on warm days win out. With the amount of salt they use up here in the midwest, there will always be some salt residue (dust) on our roads. Even a tiny amount of salt can start to pit fasteners, aluminum and, of course, chrome. I put a little stabil in the tank, put the bike up on my lift, attach a battery tender and put it to bed until the spring rains wash the roads clean. If we get a bout of really humid weather, I'll usually leave the garage doors open for a 1/2 day or so to air things out.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:55 PM
FLHTC06
Advanced

If there is NO snow or ice on the ground RIDE IT ! It's only cold air, makes the bike run cooler ! oh and EAT MORE BEEF ! that way we have more leather goods to keep us warm.

Old 09-22-2006, 01:21 PM
Shadofaxx
Tourer

[sm=badidea.gif] EAT MORE BEEF! You didn't see my picture did you ... if I used Winter Storage as an excuse to eat more I would have to trade for a trike just to get an extra wheel under my lard butt Thanks tho! got a grin out of it!

I'm pretty hearty, I'll stick it out until the first salt flies then make a decision. I sure don't want the pitting solorider talked about. I don't know about the jiggin', tanq ... but the drinkin' was some good advice too.

Backnasaddle, i've been told a couple of time the bedsheet works best, I think you guys saved me some $$.

Thanks all.

Old 09-22-2006, 01:28 PM
cutacroshorty
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have your own garage, you can store it as good as anyone could short of having a atmosphere controlled system. Most if not all already made suggestions should cover your needs for good winter storage. The salt in Michigan is a real bummer, I use to live there in Ferndale just off of Nine Mile Road and absolutely hated the winters. Having to get up 2 or 3 hour earlier than normal to remove the snow from the driveway to go to work.

Old 09-22-2006, 02:26 PM
Shadofaxx
Tourer

I was just through Ferndale last weekend just out riding. Big Harley dealership on Grand River near Nine Mile. Every year the winters ... even mild ones ... get a little harder to take. NOTHING I hate worse than shovelling snow!

Old 09-22-2006, 02:52 PM
Longhauler
6th Gear

All good advice, which is why I like visiting this site every so often. I do have a side-bar question that is connected to the original post. I realize that dino oil will attract contaminates and moisture, but will synthetic oil react the same way? I only have 1000 miles on all fluids and I hate to dump this oil come spring.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Winter Storage