Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chrome scratches

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 01:31 PM
rollover
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chrome scratches

Put the D&D Fat Cats on my bike awhile ago. Went to clean the pipe with some cleaner and a terry cloth towel and not sure if because the pipe was hot that the chrome was softer or what but the towel scratched the pipe up in the one spot I tried to clean. Is there any way to buff these scratches out? I used to have a chrome cleaner from the Honda shop that had some jewelers rouge(sp?) in it that worked nice but they don't carry it anymore. I have some paste chrome polish but it won't take out scratches. Any recommendations as the scratches are driving me nuts.

Old 09-22-2006, 01:49 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: chrome scratches

hmmm.... I've seen swirls in chrome, but never on a FatCat. Since D&D is just down the street, I figured I'd call & ask...

THe girl that answered the order line said I needed to talked to "Mark" @ 817.834.0996 and he could help. She said she thought the recommendation is "semi-chrome". I suppose that's a chrome cleaner or something, but I'm not familiar with it. She said to call him for more info & leave a message if he does not answer.

They've been very accomodating to me, on several occassions, so I would suggest you give Mark a holler....

guess that's another "+" for the black ones! [8D] However, since they do gaurentee their chrome, I'm sure it's no biggie...

Old 09-22-2006, 02:20 PM
Trooper519
Intermediate

The polish she's suggesting is called Simichrome. It comes in a tube or tub, and is packaged in a red and yellow box. You can find it in most bike shops. It's pretty expensive - but it's a wonderful polish. NOT wonderful enough to remove scratches from chrome, though. Save your money. Sorry!

Old 09-22-2006, 02:41 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chrome scratches are there for good....all ya can do is keep it shinin'....and don't look too close!

Old 09-22-2006, 03:04 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts

simichrome is probably the only thing that MAY make the scratches less noticeable.

Old 09-22-2006, 05:01 PM
cutacroshorty
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As already mentioned, the HAPPICH SIMICHROME in the small tube is the best chrome polish I've ever used. I've always heard that a cotton t-shirt is the best material to use for polishing.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:27 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

S100 Polishing Soap.............

Old 09-23-2006, 03:32 AM
choppertime
Advanced

The chrome is scratched what would you think polish is going to do, replate it? Although the copper and nickel layers (I doubt they copper plated production pipes) is fairly thick the actual chrome plate is relatively thin. The more abrasive your polish the faster you find the nickel below the chrome. The nickel that will turn yellow once exposed to oxygen. I don't understand how a towel could cause a "scratch" as well as any manufacture replacing a pipe you scatched yourself. If you want to use a abrasive style polish we use which is close to green rough try Master Polish. Available online or at trade shows only. It also polishes blue off but again, it will expose the nickel. Good luck. www.chromethathog.com

BTW: Most manufactures either "Straight Plate" pipes or omit copper all together.

Old 09-23-2006, 09:40 AM
Quickie
Cruiser

I use Autosolve in the tube. Its a chrome cleaner and polish. It does not realy take the scratches out however it seems to deminish their noticability. Good luck

Old 09-23-2006, 10:00 AM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Been working as a metal plater since 1972. Polish soap will help with surface scratches on chrome or any other metal. We have using it for years.

If a scratch is to deep on any surface then more help is needed, but I have seen towels put dust scratches on manysurfaces including chrome.

Quick Reply: chrome scratches