Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing new exhaust crossover gasket

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 01:39 PM
8828alex
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heat pipe with propane torch while using muffler expansion tool. Grease up the inner gasket and head pipe end. If you have permatex freeze spray hit head pipe before you twist and push pipe on good luck

Old 01-28-2013, 03:52 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Muffler expansion tool to open up the crossover enough so you can get the gasket into it and into the head pipe. Then I used a small ball peen hammer to tap the crossover pipe down so I could slide the clamp over it. Might be better ways but this worked for me and I didn't screw up the gasket.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:06 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Muffler expansion tool to open up the crossover enough so you can get the gasket into it and into the head pipe. Then I used a small ball peen hammer to tap the crossover pipe down so I could slide the clamp over it. Might be better ways but this worked for me and I didn't screw up the gasket.

Yup that is the way I finally did it. Two years ago when I started this thread.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:00 AM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Sorry to rehash an old thread but, I need to change mine too. Does anyone know what the part# is for this gasket? I did some moving around and I can't find my service manual

Old 06-07-2016, 07:03 AM
Moses2
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default crossover pipe gasket install on 2010 Ultra

Having read just a few of the horror stories here about the install, I proceeded to replace the steel wool like gasket. I picked up 2 at the dealer ( I still can't believe that I left there with a purchase under 10 bucks), and went to locate a tailpipe expander. Harbor Freight was a bit of a drive, and again here on the forum there were yays and nays about their product. I called my local Advanced Auto to see what they had in a small (expand to 1.75 inches) expander. They said yep, they got one..$82. I think they heard I got out of the HD dealership cheap. I told them that was more than I wanted to spend, and he says 'well, we give you your money back when you bring it back...it's a rental'. I says ' A rental?? And you give ALL my money back when I'm done with it??' He smiles and says' yes indeed'. Ok, you can call it rental if you want, I'm in, I'll be back in 45 minutes. He then says ' No rush, you have over 30 days'. He brings it out, and this is not a cheap set of expanders, chain wrench, and cutter. This is quality. It worked perfectly! Ok, onward. I put the (original) crossover pipe clamp on as far as I could get it, to the point where the pipe flattens out and bends slightly, and left it loose. I expanded the pipe as much as I could in the split/clamping area. The OEM clamp will only allow you to expand the pipe so far, while on the pipe (it was more like a fat 1.625). I cleaned out the inside of the pipe with a little sand paper and installed the new gasket, taper first, into the pipe, tapping it gently around the perimeter with a rubber mallet when it got snug . It lacked about 3/16" from going in entirely when tapping any more would deform it. I then had to tap the clamp back toward the clamping area with the mallet, until it was back into the clamping area. I used no lubrication on any parts so far. Putting this now on the head pipe, requires patience. The angle you hold the pipe at, and to gently move around slightly to ensure that you are starting on the head pipe correctly. Within a few seconds I was started on the pipe, and was then able to apply some more serious pressure to ensure it was fully engaged. The position of the hanger clamp will let you know you are there, by lining up without forcing the issue. The small amount of gasket that was visible out of the end of the crossover pipe had acted more like a lead in, and a seal at the connecting point to the head pipe. Now the system is solid, even before the muffler and its mounts are installed. No more leaks that I can notice. I found the information here at the forum to be invaluable, and thank you all for sharing your experiences. I am liking the sound of the Jackpot stainless head pipe through the FatShots mufflers, 103 kit , PowerCommander V, and pro billet A/C . Hoping to have much less heat for me and my wife, and a broader torque band. Fuel Moto rocks for products and support. So does this forum.

The following users liked this post:
Stang951 (06-24-2019)