Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rim Failure?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 05:05 PM
jackinthebox
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn those pics are impressive I've never seen cracks that big in rims. Are those all stock rims? I'll have t keep a close eye on the one I just put on the rk, but there aftermarket 21/18.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:28 PM
mcain49
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Here's what mine looked like when I pulled the tire off, fortunately I was parked when the tube popped...

Damn! that's scary. I have spoke wheels on an older E-Glide. Think I'll be inspecting the rims real soon. Thanks for the pics

Old 12-23-2010, 05:34 PM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 453 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by jackinthebox
Damn those pics are impressive I've never seen cracks that big in rims. Are those all stock rims? I'll have t keep a close eye on the one I just put on the rk, but there aftermarket 21/18.
Yeah they were stock. Someone said it might have been from washing it and putting it away instead of riding it. Riding it would throw the water out. I did ride it half the time but yeah, I put it away after drying it off sometimes too. I kinda think riding it would push any water to the center of the tire but what do I know?

Old 12-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

ElPez,
Those are some OLD rims. I smell bllsht. Do you live near the guy with the wasted chrome CVO?

Old 12-23-2010, 10:25 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats why I run the wheels I do they are artwork, machined marvels and you can count on them. Now if we can find a tire to do all of that!

Old 12-24-2010, 12:00 AM
frankf
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rims

Never been a fan of spokes either. Tubes blow out, rims rust. Met a guy just outside Glacier NP who was wondering why his bike was all over the road. We checked the back rim, and the spokes were so lose its a miracle he make it, and the bike had just been in for service!!

Old 12-24-2010, 06:54 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 453 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Beemervet
ElPez,
Those are some OLD rims. I smell bllsht. Do you live near the guy with the wasted chrome CVO?
It was my 98 Road King Classic, I bought the bike in 03. I was sitting at my fathers house in May 07 and as I walked away from the bike I heard a hissing sound. Walked back and saw the rear tire going flat. When I looked closely I saw the split. Believe me or not I don't really care, just glad I wasn't riding at the time. I had been contacted by a lawyer that was working on a case for a woman involved in a crash that had the same type problem, that was some time last year but I never heard back.
I replaced the rim and sold the bike in 08

Last edited by elPrez; 12-24-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:00 AM
vtwinbob
Road Captain

this doesn't look good, just picked up my 10 ultra last month and it had the chrome aluminum profile laced rims already on it. I'm not a big fan of the spoke wheels either, the salesman told me they were the NEW style wheels, he didn't say anything about 40 spoke, from the looks of it they are, i guess, does anybody know for sure guess I'll be keeping a close watch on mine.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:04 AM
FDHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 123 Posts

Just made the appointment. Mine are coming off Jan 7th and will be up on E-bay complete with WWW's on Jan 8th.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:51 AM
vtwinbob
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FDHOG
Just made the appointment. Mine are coming off Jan 7th and will be up on E-bay complete with WWW's on Jan 8th.
wish i could run in to a deal like you did, I'd be doing the same thing, do you have the chrome alum. profile lace also like me.i'm going to call the dealer and see if any thing can be done, beings there is only 325 miles on it.

Quick Reply: Rim Failure?