Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding after knee replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 08:41 PM
PJ 08 annv ultra
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was 61 in Dec 09 and had both replaced. Back to work as a mail carrier on Feb 22, living in Michigan I had to wait until April 1 for my first ride. I was a little apprehensive but all went well. Had to stay in hospital an additional week because of having both done at same time and didn't had a good leg to stand on. Started full therapy 6 days after surgery on a Monday and worked hard 6 hours a day, by Tuesday afternoon I had completed all exercises they had and keep working all day each day till I was discharged. If you go beyond what therapist gives you, you'll do good.
DO YOUR RESEARCH on the doctors and make sure they use the latest joint. My joints are made by depuy and called a sigma rotating platform. Works just like the real thing. Only problem with any replacement is it is very uncomfortable to kneel.
Good Luck
Pat

Old 03-25-2011, 03:02 PM
KutenFLHX
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

So far I am ahead of schedule of where my doctor wanted me to be. He'd like me to get to 90 degrees in the next couple weeks, and I am already at 87 after only 3 weeks. Just keep doing my exercises, walk to keep it moving, and ice it when needed. Luckily I got a doctor that is probably the top orthopedic surgeon in the area. I am sure I will be back up and riding by May.
Thanks for all the supports. See you on the road soon.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:33 PM
gh517
3rd Gear

Had mine replaced on 3/18/10,walking on it the same day ,sent home on day 2,back riding in june.Its taken me a year to really be able to use it like i want to,walking downstairs,long distance,ect.I found a stationary bike helped a lot.good luck,some work some don't..

Old 03-25-2011, 09:13 PM
mhern08
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Had a scope witha microfracure surgery on my left knee two years ago- I took it full 8weeks to getback -its good now- but i ve got a torn meniscus(sp)on the right now!! I'd say take yer time and do all the rehab you can get. Only YOU really know when its all good agin.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Teachinator
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Riding after Knee Replacement

All advice that has been given on the forum is spot on. I had my right knee replaced June of 2008. I was riding my bike to physical therapy after the doctor gave me the ok to get rid of the manditory 4 weeks using a walker. I'm not going to lie, the surgery is painful, and the rehab, if done correctly, is even more painful. Don't push it, your body and your common sense will tell you when your ready to get back in the saddle again. I spent last summer helping an older bother with his replacement and had him up and moving in no time. I was back to walking 4 miles a day again within 4 weeks. Make sure you have annual check-ups and x-rays to see if there is any damage to the plastic insert between the metal part. Most joints fail because the plastic insert is damaged. If you believe it has been compromised, don't put any weight on the affect joint because it could cause metal upon metal friction and total joint failure resulting in another replacement. It's less painful to replace the pad than the total knee. As for how long your knee will last, that's up to you. It's like our bikes, the harder we ride them, the shorter their life span. I hope my 2 cents has helped.

Last edited by Teachinator; 05-21-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:41 PM
KutenFLHX
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Got my knee replacement on March 2 and am feeling pretty good now. Still going through therapy, but have been doing quite well. Hopefully, if the weather cooperates, I am going to try to get the bike out and go for a ride. My bike has been sitting in the garage for too long and I'm just itching to get back on it.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:32 AM
grnmtnbkr
Stage II
Default Knee pain from riding after tkr

Anyone else experience pain several hours after riding following a total knee replacement? During the riding I'm fine and comfortable but later in the day or night the outside of my right knee (TKR) starts to hurt pretty bad