Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time rider

Old 06-29-2005, 10:30 PM
luvmyflhtcui
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First time rider

I am going with the majority here. Go for the RK. Don't waste the time or the money with a smaller bike. Just take your time and it's already obvious that you can ride as you passed the MSF basic course already. Ride your new RK with your head held high and enjoy your new scoot.

Good luck and Ride on.

[IMG]local://upfiles/494/EA9B3A19D7174045AB6BCBFB4BBDFDCA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-30-2005, 02:34 PM
jbhawley
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI
hey cbrunson,
one person can pick up a dropped RK. I know, i had to do it. Just use the right technique. Didnt even hurt my back.
heres how:
- with the bike down, laying usually on the engine guard and the saddle bag guard, get on the side of the bike that is closest to the ground.
- turn the handle bars full lock so the front wheel is pointing towards the ground.
- face away from the bike and in a squatting position, let your butt com in contact with the seat while holding the saddle bag guard and handle bar at the hand grip.
- now just push up with your legs. the bike will upright itself.
- while holding the bike, put the jiffy stand down.
- done.
Sounds a bit complicated but its real easy.

Old 06-30-2005, 04:00 PM
scatterbrain
Cruiser

IMO, new riders don't have the confidence it takes to ride a big bike safely and well. If you purchase a used GS500 Suzuki or other used entry-level bike, take care of it, and sell it after a year of building your skills, you will have lost very little money and boosted your confidence and experience as a rider a bunch. You'll lose much less money doing that, than you will hurting yourself and damaging that new HD.

I love HD's! But they are certainly not the most responsive or forgiving motorcycles for learning to ride on. Swallow your pride for a while and learn how to control a motorcycle in various conditions and situations, gain that confidence, learn how to survive on the street. THEN get that RK and it'll feel fantastic when you muscle those bars over and have 100% confidence in what you're doing.

The MSF course is fantastic, but it's only the beginning - they teach you the skills, but it's up to YOU to develop those skills into solid tools for keeping yourself out of trouble.

Good luck, and welcome new rider!

Old 06-30-2005, 04:32 PM
skos
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

If it’s your 1st then u did the right thing with the safely course. I have ridden bikes all my life. Now at 40 got my 1st Harley & ended up with a Road King Classic. I was intending on a Fat Boy or a Springer but somehow ended with the RKC. Could not be happier. I have own & ridden maybe 100 bikes & this RKC hand down is my favorite.

Think about 2 person riding. If you are going to do any 2 person riding then go for the bigger big, you will be happy that you did. It is easier to handle a bike made for 2 then overloading a single. I don’t know if more people own ride or submit to this forum on the dresser but if you look at the count/post we (Touring Models ) have the most.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2051/80896CE536D846BB8313A2BED5D45308.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-06-2005, 06:19 PM
BiggestDawg
Advanced HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts

There is lots of good advice in here. I have been riding for years and have moved up in size with each bike I got. I now have the Electra Glide Ultra Classic and it is by far the best bike. But... I really enjoyed my time on the smaller bikes. I went to the big bike because it handles my wife and I a lot better than anything else that we have been on. If you have the confidence in your skills then you shouldn't have to much trouble with the RK. If you are not to sure about your self you will be wiser to start out with a smaller machine and build your confidence. I agree with some of the others about a cheap bike. My bike before the Ultra was a Yamaha Virago 750 that I paid a $1000.00 bucks for and then I sold it for the same amount after a couple of years. So it is not really a waste of money and it is good experience. In the end it is your choice and a RK is a nice machine. Let us know what you decide

Old 07-21-2005, 10:40 AM
bsea
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a little late to the discussion, but I have some recent experience in this area. I bought an Ultra for my first bike ever back in December of '04. I was extremely intimidated by it but struggled through the process of learning to control and enjoy it. I also learned how to pick it up alone by necessity. The difference was made when I finally got the chance to go to the MSF course in March. Since that time, it's been smooth sailing. Between that course and the Motorman DVD, I am now pretty comfortable on my ride and wouldn't trade it for anything. Since you have already been to the MSF course, you have a distinct advantage over where I started from. Personally, I would get what I wanted and take my time learning to ride it. I used to go to the commuter parking lots around here on the weekends to practice making my turns and stops and etc. Did a world of good. Also, I hooked up with some friends who are also riders who took me on some long rides in the country without having to worry too much about traffic. That helped as well.

Good luck and ride safe.

Bill

Old 07-21-2005, 02:28 PM
nfe
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I too started with a smaller bike.. I bought a 82 Yamaha Maxim 400.. After learning on that one, and passing my road test.. I ended up purchasing a '96 Virago 750.. I believe that was in '98 (new in crate).. I rode that until this year.. Couldn't stand the riding position for a person my size.. That bike is now up for sale.. And it's worth about what I paid for it.. (Don't have a clue why!!)... But.. I LOVE THE ULTRA I PURCHASED THIS YEAR!!! After this one has been ridden for a couple of years.. I'm thinking of getting either a wide glide, or a Softail Classic.. Oh, heck.. Maybe even a custom chopper... LOL

-NFE

Old 07-21-2005, 02:49 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 147 Likes on 41 Posts

The RK is a lot of bike for a first timer, but it handles very well for it's size. You are the one to tell how confident you feel with a bike and my suggestion would be to start off on a smaller bike even if it is a cheapie just to get the feel , then move up. You really don't want to drop a RK very much because of the repair costs. Something smaller would be more in order.

Old 07-21-2005, 03:10 PM
Markcuda
Banned

harleybiker, what did you do yet??