Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beatty cam tools?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 03:35 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Or, you can buy the puller from Harbor Freight for $48 with a 20% off coupon.
http://www.harborfreight.com/blind-h...ler-95987.html

Old 03-01-2011, 04:10 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the Beatty tool for the larger bearings in the 07 up TC. I was wondering if I can buy just the puller part and press arbor part for the smaller 99-06 TC bearings from Gary and how much those two pieces cost and if they will work with the rest of the tool parts I already have?

Old 03-02-2011, 03:48 PM
2k2ss
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thank you thats what i needed to know!

Old 03-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My mechanic charged $250 for the install and I took in the cams, gears, bearings and pushrods after I realized that my DIY skills weren't up to the task. The job was done right and he'll stand behind it. I think that's a better deal than the tool. :-)

Old 03-03-2011, 07:16 AM
Allen Dye
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This question has probably been asked before, why is it necessary, or at least desirable, to change out the inner cam bearing with a cam change. Especially if the bike is low milage to start with. Are the stock inner bearings prone to failure? If so you would think you would read here of a lot of them failing on bikes left stock. Just got my 255 cams in and want to know why I'm doing something in the install, not just because everyone says do it.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:00 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen Dye
This question has probably been asked before, why is it necessary, or at least desirable, to change out the inner cam bearing with a cam change. Especially if the bike is low milage to start with. Are the stock inner bearings prone to failure? If so you would think you would read here of a lot of them failing on bikes left stock. Just got my 255 cams in and want to know why I'm doing something in the install, not just because everyone says do it.
Somewhere in the threads are pics of the Torrington bearings (same as SE if bought at dealer) and when you look at them there is a noticeable difference in the roller set-up.

I bought the Beatty tool since I am a tool junkie anyway; but would have been comfortable with the AZ puller if I needed to save a few $$. Can't answer your question about failures but I was going to be in there anyway so seeing the difference $20.00 +/- for bearings was a no-brainer for me. JMHO

Last edited by IndyClassic; 03-03-2011 at 08:01 AM. Reason: poor english LOL
Old 03-03-2011, 08:19 AM
Allen Dye
Cruiser

Just wondering as the Limited has less than 10K on it and it would seem if the stock bearings were that prone to failure you would hear a lot more about it. Lot of riders on here giving high milages on 07s and newer and I don't recall reading the first time of an inner cam bearing failer. May be something going on like a much higher load being put on the inner bearing with non stock cams. If so, that is what I'm trying find information on, not just change them because everyone is paranoid about them.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:58 AM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Allen, people replace them because the SE or torringtons are much more robust, it's cheap to do, higher lift cams put more strain on the bearings, you're already in there anyway and if one fails it can tear up all kinds of expensive stuff.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Allen Dye
Cruiser

I'm probably going to replace them, I'm just trying to find out if people are replacing them because there is a history of them failing when non stock cams are installed or just because everyone is paranoid they will fail. I notice in the SE catalog the 110 kit, even though it lists 255 cams, doesn't list SE inner cam bearings or recommend they be installed. Might be in the kit instructions and not in the catalog. I've seen the photos of what happens if anything it turned loose to wander around in these engines, so a little paranoia probably is a healthy thing.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:34 AM
parakiller
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They do not come in the kit. they cost about 20 bucks or so. even the SE ones. buy them repalce them. no worries.

Quick Reply: Beatty cam tools?