Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-D iPod Module

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 08:02 AM
DMorr99
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default H-D iPod Module

So I got my genuine H-D iPod module hooked up recently along with a new set of J&M 7.25's and have had some time to test it out. The iPod module works good after you get used to the limitations of the handlebar controls and having to use the buttons on the HK radio. Overall I like the iPod module because once you put the iPod in the saddlebag holder you're done with messing with it. I bought a specific iPod just for my bike so the only time I will have to remove it is to do updates every so often. One area of concern though is the fact that there was no grommet included with the kit to plug the hole drilled into the saddlebag that the cable runs through. I am going to look for a grommet at the hardware store to keep the water out but this should have been included in the kit. The J&M speakers turned out to be a good upgrade also even without adding an amp. The sound is better than the stock speakers but definately not car audio quality due to the lack of bass. All in all it was an expensive upgrade but it makes listening to my music much more convenient and keeps my iPod out of the weather, out of sight and lets me select from hundreds upon hundreds of songs and playlists on the fly. I give the Harley Davidson iPod Module and J&M speakers two thumbs up.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:40 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,458 Posts

i've had mine on order for a month now and it seems to be backordered again until the 31 of march.

i sure would like the chance to test it out

Old 03-02-2011, 10:51 AM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DMorr99
So I got my genuine H-D iPod module hooked up recently along with a new set of J&M 7.25's and have had some time to test it out. The iPod module works good after you get used to the limitations of the handlebar controls and having to use the buttons on the HK radio. Overall I like the iPod module because once you put the iPod in the saddlebag holder you're done with messing with it. I bought a specific iPod just for my bike so the only time I will have to remove it is to do updates every so often. One area of concern though is the fact that there was no grommet included with the kit to plug the hole drilled into the saddlebag that the cable runs through. I am going to look for a grommet at the hardware store to keep the water out but this should have been included in the kit. The J&M speakers turned out to be a good upgrade also even without adding an amp. The sound is better than the stock speakers but definately not car audio quality due to the lack of bass. All in all it was an expensive upgrade but it makes listening to my music much more convenient and keeps my iPod out of the weather, out of sight and lets me select from hundreds upon hundreds of songs and playlists on the fly. I give the Harley Davidson iPod Module and J&M speakers two thumbs up.
The grommet is clearly shown in the instructions and is, like most Harley-Davidson accessories, an 'additional' part that you have to buy to properly install the kit. I hate it when they do that! It is nothing more than a standard appliance wire grommet and could easily be found at Lowes or The Home Depot.

Good luck!

Steve

Old 03-02-2011, 11:50 AM
DMorr99
Road Master

Originally Posted by SCJE8
The grommet is clearly shown in the instructions and is, like most Harley-Davidson accessories, an 'additional' part that you have to buy to properly install the kit. I hate it when they do that! It is nothing more than a standard appliance wire grommet and could easily be found at Lowes or The Home Depot.

Good luck!

Steve
Thanks for the info on the grommet.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:32 AM
DMorr99
Road Master

The part number for the grommet is 12100001 and it's less than two bucks from Zanotti's. For that kind of money they should just include the damn thing in the kit.