Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Tip - Handlebar Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 02:23 PM
JG09
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled the wires through using safety wire. Lowe's has twine that's made for pulling electrical. wrap the pins with black tape and make the head tapered towards the front to pull easier. You should not need lube to get the wires through.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:25 PM
07FLHRCMarinePatriot
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe this will help too. I put it together some time ago.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...e-install.html

Old 03-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Shawrco
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pulling Wire inside Handlebars

Finally gor 'r done... with a combination of ideas from the forums, the wire bundles are in! I made a trip to home improvement warehouse type store for the shriink tube but all they had were short pieces for splices (glad I didn't cut the sheath off before I went ). None of the auto stores or Radio Shack open by this time, so I fished two pull wires into the bars and hooked on to each bundle separately. Since I had gotten all but about 8" of the TGS bundle in once before, I pulled the TGS in most of the way first, then started the switch bundle together w/TGS, pushing and at same time pulling on the pull wire. Was still a tough pull, but they are in, bars on and set. Test fired the engine just to make sure I hadn't pulled the TGS wires apart at the green connector and everything ran fine. Now just need to hook up the new platinum braid brake lines and clutch cable and get everything buttoned back up. Quite a learning experience.

Thanks a million for all the help; the Forum is great!

Old 03-08-2011, 05:21 AM
Eddie Haskell
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

What kind of bike are you doing this to? I want to do 12.5 Wild one Apes on my 2010 Ultra, wondering how much longer the brake line and clutch cable have to be?

Old 03-08-2011, 05:42 AM
smharris605
Advanced

I used baby powder inside the bars then pulled them through with a guitar string... i guess that wouldnt help since you already used vasoline thou lol...

Old 03-08-2011, 08:29 AM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie Haskell
What kind of bike are you doing this to? I want to do 12.5 Wild one Apes on my 2010 Ultra, wondering how much longer the brake line and clutch cable have to be?
I put the WO 577's (12.5) on mine and +6 on the clutch and brake worked fine.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:05 AM
Eddie Haskell
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you know the length of the stock cables and brake lines?

Old 03-15-2011, 07:49 AM
Shawrco
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Length of Stock Cables/Lines

Originally Posted by Eddie Haskell
My bike is 2009 EG Classic. I'll measure the stock lines tonight and let you know. I got the clutch cable (Barnett) and brake lines from Johnny Vaughn at HD Bike parts. Told him which bars I was using and he sent what I needed. The clutch was +4 but not sure about the brake line from master cyl to junction block. What he sent was a tad long, although it wasn't too hard to hide inside the fairing.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:33 AM
michael.keane@pgnmail.com
Stage II

have a 2000 road king with factory wire set up. does any one know whick to bullet connectors do not get plugged in on the road king/ left and right side? I believew this harness is used on all touring models that year. all my accesories work after wiring new bars but when i apply either brake it blows the 15 amp acc. fuse.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:44 AM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

I am putting the WO578's on and found out I cannot have the electrical wires outside the bar. So when I have time I will be doing the same as you. I just figured to tape a wire to the end and push and pull the same time. It helps these bars are very wide I would think

Quick Reply: Need Tip - Handlebar Wiring