Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a Road King

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Ctdeluxe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mllgator
New Frame, fuel injected, 6 speed - no brainer
Plus no cat to clog up your pipes. That's just one of the reasons why I like my 09 RK as opposed to the 2010 or the 2011. Go for it.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:42 AM
Pylon
Advanced

once you start riding that RK, you may see your mileage increase more than your old bike. I know I am loving racking up the miles on my 2010

Old 03-15-2011, 12:10 PM
TW
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Road King= best bike in the lineup.

Then again, I may be biased. I'm on my fourth one.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:12 PM
fm58
Tourer
Received 127 Likes on 40 Posts

The King is the King for a reason, I am biased as I just bought one.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:19 PM
kamut
Tourer

I think you're gonna dig the King. You can cruise with the windshield off. It works great for non-touring duties. I think it's a good 'long term' bike, as you mention, because you get comfort, but you get hellraising capability as well. I love the way it looks.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:28 PM
CrusingHarley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you already know the answer.

The RK is a great bike, Enjoy!!

Old 03-15-2011, 12:35 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
I have a 2005 Super Glide and am ready to move up. I have found a nice 2009 Road King, a trade-in at a well respected local dealer. The scooter is the standard Road King, all stock, black, wire wheels, and appears to be in excellent condition. It is priced right because it has 33,000 miles on it. It has been serviced by the dealer since new, their story is that the owner rode a lot and traded it in while it still had some resale value.

I am 63 and ride a few thousand miles per year, no long trips, just around town and an occasional run to a local lake or a poker run. I like my SG but really want the 96 motor, 6 speed and F.I. I can buy the used Road King for about the price of a new Super Glide. This would be a long term bike for me. I am thinking that with the miles I ride, the mileage on the scooter would be "normal" in a few years. I would not modify the bike much, if at all.

Would appreciate any comments/suggestion regarding the Road King.

Thanks!
Things I would be looking for -
Heritage - upgraded handle bars
Sundowner - upgraded seat
& Cruise control
Other than that I would say a great bike!

Old 03-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Harley got it right when they built the Road King. It brings together the best of all bikes; a very comfortable touring platform, a round-town cruiser when stripped of the windshield and a very nostalgic looking machine...something gentlemen of our age can appreciate

It's my impression from my own bike, and owners here on the forum that the RK is a bike that needs 'tweaking' to make it fit each owner. By that, I mean the seat and handlebars feel different for everyone and you'll need to find the perfect set that fit you.

Good luck...buy it soon and post pictures.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:14 PM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

You may find it funny that whatever model a person buys, they always defend it like it's the best model out there. You got to justify your purchase. Like if you grow up on Fords you don't like Chevy's. If you smoke Marlboro you don't like Winston, Miller Lite or Bud light ... whatever. If you buy the Road King you will understand that clearly, it's the best bike Harley makes. They handle better than the top heavy Glides. Of course my next bike maybe a Roadglide simply for the extras.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:08 PM
SniperCJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant say anything more than everybody else said. I have a 2006 Street Bob and bought a 2007 RKC last year. Most likely selling the SB soon. Love the RKC more!

Quick Reply: Considering a Road King