Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Audio iPod Interface Install - 2011 RGC

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 10:00 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

Might need this for the weekend.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:42 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

No matter what I do I can't get this thing to work. I've even tried a completely differnt module. Still same result. The radio never detects the interface. Ipod never shows up on the screen of the radio. I have a intercom on my bike so I had the 35 pin connector. All 5 pins are set. The phone doesn't even get power to charge from the cable. It just does nothing. Any ideals?

Old 11-15-2014, 07:20 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

Definitely not the pins. I even tried putting the pins directly on the back og the radio and still nothing. Is there any chance when they tech flashed the radio for the intercom he deactivated the Ipod conductivity?? 20 minuted job turned into an all day event. Not happy.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:00 PM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

craigffb, I do not what you have or have not done, but I will just give you a couple of things. First, I know you say it can not be the pins, but believe me when I say this, many and I mean many people have checked them 3,4 even 5 times only to find out that it was the pins. So please look at the connector and make sure that the pins are all the way to the face of it, and they are making a good connection. Next, unplug and plug back, every connection, from the radio to the saddlebag. I don't know when or where you bought the iPod interface, but you say you tried another module, so I am curious as to how you did this. I ask this because in the beginning of this interface being released the directions were wrong (yes I was one of the fix finders) but I don't think that you could have these directions, but I guess anything is possible. I guess just tell me the date and revision of the directions. If after you do these things again, it still does not operate, then I would check with the tech that did the digital tech software update, and see if he did something, it does not require an update for the interface, but he could have done something wrong or changed a setting doing the other. I hope you get it going.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:04 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Copyless
craigffb, I do not what you have or have not done, but I will just give you a couple of things. First, I know you say it can not be the pins, but believe me when I say this, many and I mean many people have checked them 3,4 even 5 times only to find out that it was the pins. So please look at the connector and make sure that the pins are all the way to the face of it, and they are making a good connection. Next, unplug and plug back, every connection, from the radio to the saddlebag. I don't know when or where you bought the iPod interface, but you say you tried another module, so I am curious as to how you did this. I ask this because in the beginning of this interface being released the directions were wrong (yes I was one of the fix finders) but I don't think that you could have these directions, but I guess anything is possible. I guess just tell me the date and revision of the directions. If after you do these things again, it still does not operate, then I would check with the tech that did the digital tech software update, and see if he did something, it does not require an update for the interface, but he could have done something wrong or changed a setting doing the other. I hope you get it going.
Can't be the pins...I took them out of the plug and put then directly on the radio with out the plug. Even when they where in the plug, they were good. I could see every one of them just like the pins that were there for the intercom. I've messed with a lot of connectors making stuff and replacing stuff on a bunch of bikes and never had an issue with the connectors.

I've unplug the two other plugs no less the 10 times. No Ipod option shows on the face...nothing...wont even charge what ever is connected to it.

I bought the interface from the local HD shop on Tuesday. They had two on the self so I took the one I had back and tried the other...same results. Instructions are dated 2011-09-22.

I'm more than likely gonna have to take it in and have them look at it. If the tech I think did the flash for the intercom did then I'd guess he is at fault...he's mess up stuff on both my bikes doing warranty work and I wont let him touch them now.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:21 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok, I'm pretty sure I figured out my problem.

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Just a note on the parts list above regarding the 69200033 harness. If you have an Ultra or have added the non-Ultra overlay harness (used when adding HD's XM, CB, rear speakers/pods to the King Tour Pak), you won't need that harness since your bike already has 35 wire connector plugged into the HK. Ditto those who have added the HD intercom kit, p/n 77107-08 since that kit also includes 35 wire connector.
Harley Install instructions
FLHT/C,FLHX,FLTR/X and FLHXXX models WITHOUT Non-Ultra Overlay Harness (Part No.70169-06) installed will require separate purchase of a Connector Kit (Part No. 69200033)
The above statements are not 100% accurate. I have The HD Intercom Kit on my bike. So I was thinking I was good. WRONG. I still need a jumper from 6B (4,5) to 28B (13,14). This provides the power and ground for the interface. So you have two options in a case like mine. Get the connector kit or make your own jumper.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:37 AM
SmileyFtW
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just did my 2010 Ultra - clarification pix for connector

I just did my Ultra and was really nervous about it even though I had read everything in this thread. The worry I had was the 35 pin connector. After struggling a little I found that it is *very* easy to get it right. All I needed was a bit more info. Not having any experience with connectors of this type was the issue.

Once I figured it out I thought a few more pictures would be helpful.

The first thing that I was unclear on was how to unlock the connector. As has been stated, the wedgeblock should NOT be removed, but it IS necessary to unlock it. The pdf instruction sheet from TE (http://www.te.com/catalog/bin/TE.Con...267,63261&N=19) doesn't really look like the connector here so the instructions leave something to be desired with respect to (WRT) unlocking the wedgeblock.

The wedgeblock needs to be lifted so that the red center part is no longer flush with the black edge. Putting a small screwdriver between the gasket and the edge of the red block and levering against the connector housing is how that is done. You don't poke the screwdriver into the housing beneath the gasket as the pdf seems (to me, anyway) to imply.

Once the wedgeblock is unlocked and the seal plugs have been pulled out (just grab 'em with needle-nose pliers and pull 'em out), insert the new sockets in the appropriate socket holes until you can see them at the same level as the ones already there. Press the wedgeblock back into the locked position and visually inspect to make sure the new sockets are at the same level as all the others and you should be good to go.

The job took far longer for me than it should have because these things weren't clear to me. I now believe that I could do the entire mod in a couple of hours or so from prepping the bike to returning to service.

I couldn't have done it without the great instructions initially provided, but since others seemed to continue to have issues with the connector I felt this might help. As this is my first post to the list I hope the pictures are submitted correctly.

Attached Thumbnails HD Audio iPod Interface Install - 2011 RGC-ipodconnector_instr-1-.jpg   HD Audio iPod Interface Install - 2011 RGC-ipodconnector_instr-2-.jpg   HD Audio iPod Interface Install - 2011 RGC-ipodconnector_instr-3-.jpg  
Old 01-12-2015, 11:05 AM
SmileyFtW
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should have read the instructions on how to upload photos

Old 07-10-2017, 12:09 PM
MattZone
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking 2009 Ultra Classic Install w/ Pics

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forums but am hoping to contribute, since I've used them for my benefit. I just installed the iPod module and, after a bit of searching, I found it was rather easy on the 09 UC. I attached pics showing the main install points (the 6A connector was already available and just need to be attached to the iPod Y cable. In case you are a little worried, the ONLY in depth wiring I needed to do was placing the correctly colored cables into the 9, 19, and 31 slots. I didn't place the other 2 wires into anything.

Also, just echoing other posts. The 35pin has to be unlocked in order to get the pins deep enough and aligned with the rest of the pins. However, this was easier than I expected (and I can do it, anyone can do it).

Attached Thumbnails HD Audio iPod Interface Install - 2011 RGC-01.jpg   HD Audio iPod Interface Install - 2011 RGC-3.jpg   HD Audio iPod Interface Install - 2011 RGC-4.jpg   HD Audio iPod Interface Install - 2011 RGC-5.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
partsguymatt (07-12-2017)