Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer maintenance plan

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 06:33 AM
bogieb
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I turned down the maintenance plan. Hubby thought I was nuts, because it would have saved money on the services themselves. But, the dealer is 55 miles away, and in the opposite direction of work, so I would have to make a special trip (on a day off) just to take the bike in for maintenance. Ok, I gotta admit that getting the loaner bike would have been cool, but just not worth it to me.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:43 AM
hog.ryder
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

No to getting the maintenance plan from me as well.

The extended warranty pays for itself for some and others lose money getting it. I didn't get it on my last bike and wish I would have since I had a breakdown after factory warranty expired, so I did get it on my new bike and hopefully I won't need it but it's there if I do.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:00 AM
ErikElvis
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I am fairly mechanically inclined but opted for the maintenance package anyway. Its my first harley and I dont want to screw around with the warranty. Plus it looks good when you have all of the paperwork for the maintenance from the dealer when you go to sell or trade back in.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:08 AM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

'The maintence plan only pays off if you ride a TON of miles. It paid off for me, but in just over 2 years, I put 40K on the bike, so with a service every 5K, the cost of the plan was well under what I would have paid the dealer to do the work. It also insured that my ride was in top shape for the three year period. (my dealer has a GREAT wrench that really does all the checks requiered, and then some"
All welland good if the dealer does what is alledged... JMO...

Old 04-01-2011, 08:27 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 71,064 Likes on 21,547 Posts

Originally Posted by Bushy
'The maintence plan only pays off if you ride a TON of miles. It paid off for me, but in just over 2 years, I put 40K on the bike, so with a service every 5K, the cost of the plan was well under what I would have paid the dealer to do the work. It also insured that my ride was in top shape for the three year period. (my dealer has a GREAT wrench that really does all the checks requiered, and then some"
All welland good if the dealer does what is alledged... JMO...
Yep, only pays off if you put a lot of miles on, otherwise skip it.
Dealerships like using their syn 3 in all holes too FYI.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:46 AM
alkrisma
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Dealerships like using their syn 3 in all holes too FYI.
re: syn 3, is that good or bad? I run syn 3 in the buell but am using stock fluids in the 2011 FLHX103

Old 04-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Rucker00
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do your own mx. See if they can role the price of the mx package they're offering into some mods. Or just put that money in your bank for some mods down the road. Congrats on the new bike!

Old 04-01-2011, 10:14 AM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I do my own service but for someone that doesn't want to do it and rides a ton of mikes the maintenance plan can be worth it.

Some dealers even give a loaner bike while yours is getting serviced with the package.

As far as extended warranties I never buy them. I figure all the money I've saved over the years will more than pay for a repair if I ever need it now.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:56 AM
rkrdr2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The maintenance warranty is a joke...But with the crank run out issues they seem to be having with 2010 and '11 bikes the Extended warranty might be a must on these new ones..With MoCo saying .008 run out is normal..thats all it would take for me to purchase an extended warranty!

Old 04-01-2011, 11:57 AM
dgretz
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tj316
don't buy it, also with the extended warranty, Harley gives you 2 years, you can buy the extended warranty any time up until your 2 years expire, just a thought
Note: if you buy the ESP after 90 days or 2,000 miles of the new bike purchase there is a $150 fee on top of the plan price

Quick Reply: Dealer maintenance plan