Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer maintenance plan

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 12:08 PM
WIKD1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say it depends on the type of rider you are. I can easily do my own maintenance but still opted for the package. When I added up what I got compared to what I was paying it was within $300 of doing everything myself. So instead I bring it in, they do the service and detail the bike and I'm tooling around on their loaner. Mine was good for 5 years and did the 1K service through the 25K service, 2 tires and 1 set of brakes. The only thing I haven't had done in 2 years is the front tire thanks to the recall. I feel I got my money's worth.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:32 PM
TNCarters
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

When bought in December one dealer wanted to include a maintenance plan that included routine maintenance, tires and batteries for life of the plan. Looked like a worthwhile deal if you are putting a lot of miles on the bike. Due to the dealer being out of my way and me not wanting to be locked into his service and products I ended up buying somewhere else for less money. I'll probably end up spending the cost of the plan but I'll get to use the oils I want, tires, etc. and probably can have most routine things finished myself in the time it would have taken to get to his shop.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:49 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am too meticulous to let others work on my bike unless I have to. Case in point when I road from Georgia to Alaska and back I let Fairbanks HD service my bike what a mistake! Next time I will do it my self on the side of the road before I let them touch my bike again.

Then one time I was coming through Janesville Wisconsin and noticed my tire had a slit in it so I let Janesville HD put a tire on. In 85K miles this is the ONLY tire I let some one else put on and they cracked my exhaust pipe. In all the tires I have put on my bike I never cracked a pipe.

I all so had a recall on my bike and Macon HD did the work. Once I picked it up and brought it home I had to fix everything the jackleg messed up including not even tightening up the seat bolt.

No thanks I do all my own work as I know it is done right.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:55 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maintenance plans and extended warranties are a waste of money IMO. However, that wouldn't stop me from asking them to throw it in with the purchase price. I wont pay extra for it

Old 04-01-2011, 06:57 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,902 Likes on 21,306 Posts

Originally Posted by alkrisma
re: syn 3, is that good or bad? I run syn 3 in the buell but am using stock fluids in the 2011 FLHX103
Personally; I really think it is not a bad thing to run syn 3 in all 3, I just don't think it is a good thing. There are better quality lubricants available than syn 3. No offense meant to anyone running it, JMO and other's as well.

I switched to syn for the tranny @700 miles to Spectro 75/140 HD Platnium 6 speed and it runs cooler(made a huge difference) and no more 5th gear whine. Many on this forum say that it is better than "Redline" too.

As far as the primary goes I think a more mineral oil base is probably a little better due to the alleged clutch slippage. I had Klotz 80/90 syn in and decided to go with HD Formula +. It is pretty heavy stuff too. I did this just to see if there was a difference and I could not differentiate between the two actually.

As far as the crank case goes I used regular HD 20/50 until I got right at 2K on it and then switched to Amsoil as I was running very hot, approaching 300 degrees this past summer. The Amsoil cooled it down some, but after a while I noticed more valve train noise, but at this point am still running the Amsoil.

I have bought some Mobil 1 V-twin to replace it with. I also purchased an "Oil Bud cooler" at last years Sturgis Rally and that helped tremendously for the heat issue. They say at least a 35 degree in temp drop and they are dead on that. Anyway this is JMO stuff and not meant to be the gospel on lubricants by any means, as it just my opinion which has been shaped by other's experiences as well as my own.

BTW: Nice ride!!

Last edited by lionsm13; 04-01-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:39 PM
scotracy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my new bikes I let my dealer do the 1000 mile one, then after that I do the rest on my own. Figure the 1st 1000 is critical, and I know them, they are meticulous when it comes to checking everything.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:14 AM
ironheaddave
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you plan on riding on road trips, etc?
The ESP covers tire and wheel and unlimited towing from day one. You can't get tire and wheel coverage without it. It cost more later and it is cheaper to finance it with the bike than to buy it later.

The dealer maintenance contract would be great if it's covered at all dealers. I'm not sure how it works. My bike needs oil changes on the road.

Old 03-25-2018, 04:53 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

As a "wrench" ... I'll throw in my two cents. If you honestly plan to do "all" your maintenance then by all means do it. It's rewarding and there's nothing like riding your bike, that you know without a doubt, is in the best possible shape and being road worthy.

However, just because you read something in the manual, doesn't mean you have the ability to perform that task to standard. I see MANY bikes that come in the shop that are supposedly taken care of by the owner and in my professional opinion are piles of crap that I'm afraid to ride. Installing new brake pads isn't as simple as slipping the old ones out, pushing in the pistons, and slipping the new ones in. If you trust your ability, go for it.

I agree there are some techs that could do a better job, but there's good techs out there too. Good luck.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:18 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,902 Likes on 21,306 Posts

Originally Posted by ironheaddave
Do you plan on riding on road trips, etc?
The ESP covers tire and wheel and unlimited towing from day one. You can't get tire and wheel coverage without it. It cost more later and it is cheaper to finance it with the bike than to buy it later.

The dealer maintenance contract would be great if it's covered at all dealers. I'm not sure how it works. My bike needs oil changes on the road.
You do realize that you're responding to a 7 year old thread no? lolol

Old 03-25-2018, 09:29 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
You do realize that you're responding to a 7 year old thread no? lolol
Better late than never...