Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bypassing clutch start switch??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 07:58 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,655 Likes on 580 Posts

Call me stupid, go ahead its OK, but what would be gained from disabling the starter lock out switch on the clutch? I can't think of a single time I've ever needed to start in gear What advantage am I missing? It seems to me as was stated in an earlier post "if you weren't about to screw up how would you even know that switch existed?"

Old 08-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ruin66
what part of this thread don't I understand? I have a 06 egc and it does not have the clutch safety feature. am I missing something that I'm supposed to have?
His friends bike is a cop bike that has that feature.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:26 PM
KACook
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe he wants to see what a HiBred Harley rides like. You know, we've all done it when we were kids in an old car. Make it go by turning the key in gear.

Seriously, It's a BAD IDEA.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Wrenchch3
6th Gear

It's not the switch. The clutch lever is missing the tab that touches the clutch button when you pull it in. Change the lever to one with tab-any from non cop bike and it will work as it should.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:55 PM
jpsexton
Cruiser

Originally Posted by OldSchooler101
I've been wrenching hogs and customs since the age of 12 and I'm approaching 60 now, so I'll share from the side of experience that a clutch or neutral-safety should not be over-ridden. This is particularly true of any newer big twin with a high-amp capacity starter under warm engine conditions. Even brief engagement can on rare occasion actually cause enough momentum to produce an engine run that can put you rubber side up pretty quick, not to mention giving anyone standing in front of you an instant fairing ride. It's surprising how much torque a high-amp starter can produce under in-gear circumstances.

Yeah, you can bridge the safety feature, but there's no practical reason to do so.

Scooter "T" (refined, yet delightfully tacky)
Doesn't take much at all! I saw a sport-bike totaled under these conditions. 0-60 in 2 seconds is cool unless your not expecting it. Little plastic and aluminum bastard exploded into a million pieces when it hit the parked truck...

Old 08-19-2011, 01:56 PM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is all kinda funny cause as I read this, I couldnt tell you if I have it or not! I guess what I am trying to say is if you leave it alone, eventually it will be second nature and you wont even think about it.

I would leave it alone. I have bumped the starter many times on my 03WG with it in gear.....Not fun!

Old 08-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Feeeeg
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im missing something.

Does this function make it so that you need to pull the clutch in even in Neutral,,, if so, that is a little hincky.
But serioiusly. Why would you want that feature disabled on any other gear?

Old 08-26-2012, 08:48 PM
tdccycles
Stage II
Default clutch bypass

i have an 07 ultra stripped down to a wannabe street glide. When I installed my ape hangers with new switches and wiring the harness didn't come with a clutch switch. I was told to just connect the 2 wires together and since the bike has been done the key fob alarm light stays on constantly showing a b1154 code which is clutch switch shorted to ground. The bike runs fine but will only start in neutral no matter what and light never goes out. any suggestions on how to fix this code without having to install a clutch switch? The bike is for sale and no one including myself would by it with the light on.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:30 PM
WeaselHMC
5th Gear

Came on here looking for an answer to this question and got it.
Leave it to heck alone. I've lived with it for 6 years. No big deal.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:20 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 634 Likes on 458 Posts

Every switch in a start circuit is one more chance for a "no start" when (not "if") it fails. With good habits, the switch is unnecessary. Obviously the owner accepts responsibility for his own brain farts, should he have one. I know the OP also requested "thoughts" but if the guy wants to do it, save the insults and criticisms.

I have disabled the equivalent switches in every manual shift vehicle I have had specifically so I can move the vehicle using the starter in an emergency, an option those with automatics don't have.

I would suspect there is a plug in the headlight nacelle for the clutch safety switch and unplugging the safety switch and putting a jumper across the plug will get the job done.

Quick Reply: bypassing clutch start switch??