Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What amp to use?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 04:11 AM
Judge Dredd
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What amp to use?????

Hey guys, I'm new here and need some advice on my sound system upgrade. I have an 07 street glide that i added vented lowers and the custom 6.5 speaker boxes on, like on the 2011 cvo street glide. I installed 2 hertz 6.5s in the lowers, and 2 in the upper. Im running them in parallel which isnt too bad considering the non ideal impedence, but I need more power! Been debating using elf, arc, biketronics, or a JL 200.2 or 400.4, but would like some feedback before i drop another 500 on this already expensive project. I wont sacrifice bag space so i need one that fits atop my hk head unit. Also, I really want to use the highest quality amp, which is why i was looking at JL audio, but ive heard ill have some clearance issues. Comfortable with medium fab, I just dont want to completely re engineer my fairing brackets. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Judge Dredd; 04-19-2011 at 04:13 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:20 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw a bike at a ralley on Sunday using the JL Audio amp mounted in the saddle bag. JL speakers in the dash and two JL marine speakers in the bags, Sony head unit. Sounded great. However, the sales guy told me about a Fosgate amp that will be available in a couple of months that is small enough to go in the inner fairing. 4 channels at ~60/channel. I think I am going for the head unit and fairing speakers for now and add the amp later.

Shakey

Old 04-19-2011, 08:59 AM
SG Mike
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Arc mini 125.2 and its a nice amp. Even with the small size it was a tight fit but I was able to mount it right on top of the radio with industrial strength Velcro. They make a four channel or you can run the four speakers you have in parallel and the mini will rock. I bought mine on Ebay for like $175.00 (used but with a warranty).

Good luck!

Old 04-19-2011, 10:57 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Hawg Wired bar none!

Old 04-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Pc PaiN
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

New rockford fosgate amp coming out next month. That's what I'm waiting for.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:19 PM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 111 Posts
Default RF

Originally Posted by Pc PaiN
New rockford fosgate amp coming out next month. That's what I'm waiting for.
I am also waiting on the RF amp. It is actually rated at 75 watts per channel at 4 Ohms/4 channels. I have a thread here about it if you search it is easy to find. Good luck with your decision and please keep us posted. Of course sound is discrecionary, or what I like you might not think is so hot, but we try very hard here to post (with pics if possible) and help each other out as much as possible. Who knows ya might learn something from one of my mistakes. Keep us posted on your decision.Kris

Old 04-19-2011, 01:00 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

There's a thread by a member trying to install the Vibe amp (similar to Arc's 125.4 500W 4-channel amp).

And I posted in another thread in response to your same question on how to use the rear pin outs of the HK radio which will double the output you're currently getting using the front speaker pin outs for your four speaker set-up.

Also, there are threads re Hogtunes new 4-channel amp that fits inside the fairing.

While you wait for those folks to reply, try the search function and you'll find useful information.

I've ordered the RF 300W 4-channel amp and will post on its installation.

Carl

Old 04-19-2011, 03:56 PM
Judge Dredd
Novice

You guys are great, and carl, your info has been extremely useful! I read your other post and Im going to try just the four channels on my hk. I already know im going to amp the system anyway, so I might just hold out for the RF unit. The only thing I was worried about with car audio is draw. Any problems with blowing regulators with car audio?? I also read up on painting my inner fairing, did that myself along with the lowers/boxes. As soon as i learn how to post pics, i will. I took pics of every step along the way. IMO everything came out great, I just cant wait to hear the highest quality/volume of sound from my coveted glide!!!!!!!!! Thanks guys!!!!!

Old 04-19-2011, 07:43 PM
carden260
Intermediate

I went with the ARC MPAK 5 it really works well I have cycle sounds hard bag lids with Polk 6x9's it really pumps out the sound. I will be upgrading the amp for the rears with another ARC mini for the rear and really pound the ground. ARC is a great choice and easy to install. Send your HK to Iron Cross for pre amp outputs and youll be set.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:41 PM
Bowtie78
Novice

Who is Iron Cross and how do I get a hold of him??? I am looking at aftermarket radios because my setup keep clipping and taking out speakers and freaking out the amp any time the base is turned up past about 4. Im told this is because the speaker level inputs so that might solve my problems without replacing the radio. Please PM the info if you can.

Quick Reply: What amp to use?????