Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

safe mode

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 11:40 PM
MaulerHawk
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default safe mode

Out enjoying the great weather on my 2011 RoadGlide Custom, and damn thing goes into safe mode. This is the second time it has happened and only have 1500 miles. Had to park it in the shade and cool breeze for about 20-30 minutes, started and ran great again. Got it to dealer and it has 9 error codes, when hooked up to computer. WTF!!!!! At least the dealer gave me a loaner, 09 heritage nice bike, but no where as nice as the Roadglide. Anyone else having issues with new bikes? Dealer says it is either in Throttle sensor or heat sensor for motor.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:46 AM
bmorebhoy
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What is "safe mode?"
Search the forum to find out how to access the diagnostic codes yourself so you have an idea what may be going wrong and if it's a constant problem. I kept getting a "Low Voltage" code on the Sporty and through testing determined it was a dead cell or two in the battery, easy fix.
If safe mode is when you have no throttle control, I had that problem with my 2008 RKC but it had 20K miles on it. That problem was corrosion at an electronic throttle connection under the seat. But others fixed the same problem by replacing the throttle body at the hand grip. H-D put out a tech sheet about the problem but it pertained to 103" or larger motors and 15K miles.
Error codes can crop up during break in and the computer can tell the dealer how you have been riding the bike, from what I've heard. But 9 seems a bit excessive. Some may be very minor "historic" codes, codes that cropped up one time and and aren't an ongoing issue, like not shutting the bike down properly or a rough hot start.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:17 PM
MaulerHawk
Novice

safe mode is to protect motor from damage. Bike does have 103 and they reset bike the first time, to factory specs, and have read before about ECM vibration can cause this problem. Just hope they figure it out ASAP, want to ride till my *** falls off and still keep going

Old 07-30-2012, 10:00 AM
mcgarijs
4th Gear

I have a 2011 streat glide 103ci, I was hiway riding at highway speeds pulled over to plug Iphone in to charge phone. when I restarted the engine poped and died. than restarted but had no throttle response. before pulling back onto hiway i noticed the check engine lite was on. engine would only reive to 1500 2000 rpms. pulled back into service station and let it set for 10 to 15 min but still started in safe mode. I finally had to remove the seat and the neg lead to battery for 10 min to clear the problem. reasembled the seat and fired it up. it ran fine after that. does anyone have an idea as to what would cause that? It only happened one time.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:46 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

it can also be your throttle control

Old 07-30-2012, 11:01 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Check the connector on the side of your throttle body for tightness. While you have it loose put some dielectric grease on it.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:13 PM
mcgarijs
4th Gear
Default safe mode......

Called the harley shop they said i was still under warranty so raced down and droped it off. Ill keep you informed.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:43 PM
ndabunka
Intermediate

Did you buy it directly from a dealer or did you pick it up used...but still in warranty

Old 07-31-2012, 12:14 AM
Irish Joe
Intermediate

I had the same problem. It turned out to be a snafu with the electronic throttle. I haven't had any problems since my trusty hd mechanic fixed it. (really is a good mechanic.)

Old 07-31-2012, 06:57 PM
mcgarijs
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Did you buy it directly from a dealer or did you pick it up used...but still in warranty
I bought it used with factory warranty left on it. Im questiniong if i should buy an extended warranty

Quick Reply: safe mode