Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse for a Bagger??

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 08:55 PM
jazzy jack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reverse for a Bagger??

Is this a joke, I keep hearing about this and frankly the demand scares me!
If you can't walk your bike back, you either are not very good at planning your parking, or the bike is simply too big for you. I'm not trying to diss anyone or put them down at all, but there is a definite benefit to starting and staying with lighter bikes that you can control. Too many times I've seen and heard of people buying baggers as their first bike, this is dangerous for them and everyone else. Last week a guy on a brand new looking EG Classic came roaring up to ride beside me on the right and almost wiped us both out when transport passed us due to the buffeting. Bad enough watching out for the cagers, now I have to watchout for the dude on a "I'm a bad a$$" trip as well. On road experience should be more important than available cash when choosing a bike. I'm sorry and I apologize to anyone I've offended, but I want us all to be safe and enjoy our ride. Just my rant, OK I feel better now. ...and OUCH for the comming flames.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:03 PM
crash!!!
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse has its place...

I think reverse is a great tool. If it was offered I would probably consider it and im only 28. At a buck 40 and short, my street glide can be tough to back up sometimes. As for newbies who buy $30000 bikes and pull silly stunts like that, it scares me. My first bike was a 1984 honda magna and i got it when i was 15. Then my dad taught me to ride responsibly and that helped me devolop skills that help me ride and drive today. Hell my dad still chews on me for things i think are ok. Im glad he is still here to guide me when needed. Besides the goldwing crowd has had reverse for years and they love it. Stay safe.

CRASH!!!

Old 05-15-2011, 09:25 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

Champion offers a reverse gear...Have no knowledge of quality or how functional it is.

Champion reverse for a bagger

Old 05-15-2011, 09:35 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

When I park my bike I always try to back into the parking space. That way if it's sloping down, I can easily drive forward up the slope and I'm on my way. If I try backing uphill and can't make it I pull out, turn around and drive forward into it so I can back the bike downhill and again, I'm on my way. Reverse is a convenience some people choose for whatever reason. What's your problem with that? Anyway, I think you're just trying to start crap. Some idiot pulls up beside you and scares you? So what? Grow a set. Or learn how to ride with a little buffeting. Looks like you're the one who should get a smaller bike to learn on, one that you can control. The two points you brought up have nothing to do with each other(controlling the bike in a parking lot and idiot riders). Having a slow night and need some entertainment? Hope I've entertained you. Cecil

Old 05-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Eddy G
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Police bikes have come revers for years now. It's a very useful tool to have.

That a side I completely understand your frustration.
You see tools like that all the time, big check book = the biggest toy.
Be it bike, boat, truck whatever. If they can handle it or not doesn't matter they have to have it.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:08 PM
slyder
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ever try to back a bike with a 400lb trailer (trailer and load) behind it? Its not easy.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:11 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have always thought reverse would be a nice feature, been more than one time I have wished I had it rather than maneuvering the bike around the hard way. If I ever rebuild the trans I probably will install a reverse unit.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:12 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I see no need for reverse except for a trike or a hack. Go over to the "dark side" and talk to some Goldwing owners. I think most will say that (electric) reverse is neat, they played with it a little when they first got their scooter and haven't used it since.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:24 PM
scotracy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by smithbrl
When I park my bike I always try to back into the parking space. That way if it's sloping down, I can easily drive forward up the slope and I'm on my way. If I try backing uphill and can't make it I pull out, turn around and drive forward into it so I can back the bike downhill and again, I'm on my way. Reverse is a convenience some people choose for whatever reason. What's your problem with that? Anyway, I think you're just trying to start crap. Some idiot pulls up beside you and scares you? So what? Grow a set. Or learn how to ride with a little buffeting. Looks like you're the one who should get a smaller bike to learn on, one that you can control. The two points you brought up have nothing to do with each other(controlling the bike in a parking lot and idiot riders). Having a slow night and need some entertainment? Hope I've entertained you. Cecil
Play nice...he was asking a legit question... I did not consider him wanting to start crap...I should know...I like to start it...

Old 05-15-2011, 11:25 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

I am a disabled VET who was wounded in Iraq in 2004. I can handle a Bagger or Softail, Dyna, Sporty or any other Harley. But I took a round thru my right leg and I have nerve damage to my lower leg. So there are times I have problems backing up my bike. I can ride just as well as the next guy. I am not a SUPER expert rider but I can hold my own. So why should it matter to you if I choose to add reverse to my bike? When did it become your right to tell me what I can and can't do to MY bike? It is mine and it is my money so I should be able to do with it what I want. I have been looking at the different reverse models out right now and just might pull the trigger on one next year. I hope you won't mind me tell you what you can and can't do to your bike next. Please email me any planned modifications before doing them.

Quick Reply: Reverse for a Bagger??