Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it a Lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SLiKPMC
nothing against other makes... but I got what I wanted. I wanted a Harley. I have since I was 4 years old... My first image of a Harley was something that today is a Heritage Classic. I don't want a soft tail though... well, except for the Bad Boy. I want my bagger for long rides (cross country, or camping...) and I want a dyna for commuting/daily driver. I got the bagger... I'll pick up a Dyna when the price and money is right.

as far as doing burn outs... and risk sounding like more of a RUB than I already do... I'm willing to learn, but haven't achieved it yet on a 96" stocker. Frankly... with this many issues... I really would rather be in the saddle than risk MORE friggin issues and stuck in my cage. (But I still wanna learn, guess you can grow up, and get wiser... but the kid in me still wants to play)

I was jokin bout the burn outs, but that's how I destroyed a trany and pulley on my FLHX, I don't do em no more, although I have made a pretty spectacular scene in original SBB when I pulled up to the bar on my scoot took a shot and burned it down, but it's too much abuse and wasnt long after that I had issues.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:36 AM
SLiKPMC
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, kinda figured burnouts would be more problems... they look cool on you tbe, and when bike builders do it... but I'm thinking maybe not for a daily driver that I depend on to get me to and fro the workplace. Cagers present enough issues, and planty of reasons to see if I can still handle the road without ABS...

Old 06-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Ole T Sport
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shine her up, put a price on her and roll the dice. Odds are in your favor, bud.
Maybe look for something with low miles and a little old lady drove to church, but seriously the majority of HDs out there these days are better than what you have. When the kids are gone, maybe you can look for your showroom pride.

Now for some tough love. Sounds like your Glide is left outside alot, got a cover?
Wheel bearings usually get eaten by high pressure car wash wands.
As for as your battery, charging and starter situation. A weak battery is extremely hard on any starter, a bad starter is very hard on everthing concerned, including yourself, beleive me I know. Boosting the bike is not good for the charging and electrical system.
Now for the belt issue, regular maitenance is a most. You do not need a garage or an air compressor to check and adjust your belt properly.

How do I know about all this? , your family takes the majority of your time. You or I just want to hop on our bikes and ride trouble free. Maybe its the bikes fault but do you really still love it? If not then move on and learn from your mistakes.
Kinda like a marriage, eh?

Old 06-06-2011, 11:49 AM
SLiKPMC
Intermediate

yea, kinda like a marraige. Trying not to get a divorce... but dont know.

as far as care... hand wash only... joy dish soap, or that stuff from Harley, and hand wax. and cover... yes. Has been garaged until last Spring. Parked in garage when at work... deal is, I ride... a lot when not in the shop. My mileage is down because the family doesn't fit on the two seats... but now the OL has her own scoot, and we can't ride cause mine seems to prefer the shop to the road. (ok, so just where is my mechanic rubbing that thing?)

Old 06-06-2011, 12:14 PM
powerman1972
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Dump it! Everybody knows my story by now i'm sure. If this bike of mine starts to have multiple problems again, im moving to a victory and maybe even a goldwing!

Old 06-06-2011, 01:28 PM
SLiKPMC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by powerman1972
Dump it! Everybody knows my story by now i'm sure. If this bike of mine starts to have multiple problems again, im moving to a victory and maybe even a goldwing!
If you go to the Goldwing... please dont bag on the Harleys... Last winger I ran into decided I was a "Harley" rider and went into this speal of how he got som much more for so much less, and how he has had no problems with is bike. I thought to myself... i didn't express any regrets on my bike, and you are already offering up how yours has been so great, never a problem blah blah blah. He came across as sounding like he was compromising when not getting the Harley. I let it go. Then he hops on his wing, and it won't start... bikes are bikes... some better than others. My first was a dream... this one... well, nightmares are technically a form of a dream... but not what I meant when referring to the first one.

Can't say Victory hasn't crossed my mind a lot lately...

I ride with all types of bikes... just for the record. Honda, BMW, Yamaha, to name a few, predominately HD though, and mine is sitll the one with the most... options, bells, whistles... and problems.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Theakerr
Tourer

Taking everything you have said at face value, dump it!. Whilst a fight with Harley or the dealer (although he doesn't seem to bad) MIGHT get you something it will be a protracted battle and the odds are you will only get a partial victory anyway (no pun intended). It hurts like heck to admit it, but for the most part we are "little" people to the Executives and they will tend to look at "what is cost effective". They will not do anything until it becomes a trend. I have had a problem with a brand new Ford that in their eyes was not a problem, but I noticed that Ford will now invest in new door attachment technology to eliminate door and wind noise issues because it is showing up in significant numbers. BTW, want to guess what my problem was/is?

Last edited by Theakerr; 06-06-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:35 PM
powerman1972
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SLiKPMC
If you go to the Goldwing... please dont bag on the Harleys... Last winger I ran into decided I was a "Harley" rider and went into this speal of how he got som much more for so much less, and how he has had no problems with is bike. I thought to myself... i didn't express any regrets on my bike, and you are already offering up how yours has been so great, never a problem blah blah blah. He came across as sounding like he was compromising when not getting the Harley. I let it go. Then he hops on his wing, and it won't start... bikes are bikes... some better than others. My first was a dream... this one... well, nightmares are technically a form of a dream... but not what I meant when referring to the first one.

Can't say Victory hasn't crossed my mind a lot lately...

I ride with all types of bikes... just for the record. Honda, BMW, Yamaha, to name a few, predominately HD though, and mine is sitll the one with the most... options, bells, whistles... and problems.
I wouldn't get down on Harley's if i were to switch brands. I really like the legend of Harley Davidson. On the flip side, it pisses me off that we the consumer pay big bucks for these bikes and shouldn't be leary about taking long trips on them worrying about some type of mechanical problems ruining the trip. After having 2 sg's having problems, i have become "gun shy"! And yes, problems can happen to any bike or anything man made for that matter.

Last edited by powerman1972; 06-06-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:32 PM
envexed
Cruiser

Yes, Lemon..dump it. I had a Lemon, 07 Ultra , engine blew up at 6K miles. Ran better than it ever did after rebuild but the oil pressure was suspect at hot idle to me, and it started to burn oil. I tried to trade it off the same day I picked it up after the 3 month rebuild. I was insulted by the same place I purchased it on the trade difference for a new 08 or 09 model. Fast forward to 2010 and I was able to trade it off and got 16K for it in trade for a 2010 Limited ( at another dealer in the next state, only 30 miles away) .........What a whole new outlook on Harley I have now, you really need one of the new ones with the new frame and large back tire.....so far I am a happy camper now! OH, and that's my story about how to turn Lemon's into Lynchburg Lemonaid.

Last edited by envexed; 06-06-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master

Sell and get a new or low miles used bike.

Quick Reply: Is it a Lemon?