Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened and is it bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 06:32 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts
Unhappy What happened and is it bad?

Last weekend me and the wife were heading to a cook out with our riding group. We were stopped at a red light and when it turned green we all got on it as the speed limit jumped to 65mph, I shifted from 3rd to forth and throttled it and I heard a pop down near the engine and bike lost power to the engine but didn't stall. I tried down shifting and the bike just sputtered so I kept down shifting while I was pulling over to the side of the road and nothing just puttering? So after we pulled over I turned off the bike and restarted it and it ran fine but the exhaust tone was a little louder. It ran fine the rest of the way and I havent had any isses since, what happened?? Was it in some kind of limp mode, I didn't get any engine light and everything looks fine. What should I be looking for to make sure nothing was damaged? Why would the exhaust be louder? It was a pretty hot day and we were riding two up with a fuelmoto power tune, I have not catalitic converter and the fluid levels are all good.
Any ideas??

Old 06-18-2011, 07:37 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

very common this time of the year. at long stops on a hot day, since you are at a stand still, your engine is sucking in hot air which is heated from your engine. engine temp goes up since as hot air in increases engine temps do also. ecm gets hotter head signal from eng temp sensor and leans out the mixture. however, convention effect is in play and as hoter air gets looped into the intake, engine continues to increase in temp, temp sensor sends hotter eng temp to ecm, ecm leans out fuel so more. cycle continues until either your heat management system kicks in, or the light turns green. you take off but your fuel mixture is very lean, you have rpms, but no power. as you move forward, ambient air cools the engine and amibient air which is cooler goes into the intake. ecm gets new information and makes corrections. after a few seconds everything is normal, but during those few seconds it sounds like a shoot out.

if you have a stage 1, running with out the cover helps draw in ambient air. if you are like me and have a lot of stop and go traffic, you might need more toys. I installed an HD oil cooler and a parade fan wired to the acc switch (switch turns on a relay, relay routes power from battery to fan). I wired my fan backwards so it would blow air from right to left instead of left to right. right to left brings in cool air into the intake. left to right (the default) makes things worse by blowing engine heated air into the intake.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:55 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Kinda like when I used to do when a Cop had somebody pulled over in heavy traffic or hitch hikers were by the road...... Just shut your Ignition switch off for about 2 secs, then turn back on.........BANG ! ......

Old 06-18-2011, 08:04 PM
cantonrider
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on turning off the ignition, keeping the gas on.....then hitting the ignition again. BIG bang.....4 ft flames.....and soiled underwear all around. Have not done it on this bike and probably won't.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:58 AM
Rocketman69
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A few weeks ago, I was driving home from work on the downtown loop of I-70 through Kansas City. A car swerved into my lane, cutting me off, and I went to hit the horn as I was trying to avoid him....suddenly, the bike did the exact thing you describe, I carefully made my way to the shoulder, only to discover that I had accidentally hit the kill switch instead of the horn.....apparently under duress, my brain mixes up left/right had coordination. Perhaps this is what happened to you.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:26 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Yes, could've been engine back/mis-fire & needed to recycle...are you getting any codes???

Old 06-24-2011, 09:51 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Sounds like heat management kicked in, but the louder pipes? Not sure on that one

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 06-24-2011, 10:07 AM
MrHog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you just fuel up recently? Could have been water in the tank that blew through your EFI and motor!

Old 06-24-2011, 10:22 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketman69
... only to discover that I had accidentally hit the kill switch instead of the horn...
Ive done that only I was resting my hands on the top of the bars while in cruise control. Dont do that again!